• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Visitors (1 Viewer)

Cathy H

Cathy H
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share with you three the our young visitors to our garden over the last week.

The siskin and the pied wagtail I know, but what is the third please?

We were really chuffed cos the pied wagtail parents brought this little one along with them (we'd not seen any of them before), and he kept coming back, but I was a little concerned cos he tok to parking himself in the middle of the grass and looking about in between boughts of wandering around and feeding. We've not seen him for a couple of days although he was here on and off for nearly a week, but we haven't been about much to watch for him.

Attachments

• juv siskin.JPG
    juv siskin.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • juv pied wagtail.JPG
    juv pied wagtail.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 16
  • juv what 2.JPG
    juv what 2.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Siskin in the garden!!!:t: Humph, not fair. Number 3 looks like Juv Starling

I'd go with juv Starling for the third one too.

Siskin...not seen one anywhere for several years. Probably looking in the wrong place at the wrong time! They had one in the Obs garden at Portland yesterday.

Hi Cathy,
Ive never seen a juvenile Pied before, how lovely.
I'm joining the others to say how lucky you are to have Siskins in the Garden.
Ive seen them once when "twitching" (lol) Redpoles. Gorgeous Birds.
Lovely Cathy thanks

Hi Cathy,

I'm not jealous of the Wagtail as I had them in last year but I very much am of the Siskin, I've only very rarely had the odd adult, always on Spring Passage and never any juvs.

Now I am astonished that you've only that one young Starling, they usually hunt in packs, 50 upwards isn't unusual around here at times although I must say that right now I'm not seeing any at all, post-breeding dispersal!

Keep looking, who knows what might turn up!

Bill

Thanks for the ID. I had wondered if it might be a starling, but we only had our first starlings visit us a few weeks ago. There were up to 8 of them and they looked like they were feeding families, now this single starling pops in. It only came the once, couldn't get on the fat cake, and flew off. It returned next day but not since.

As for the siskin, it was one of those 'jizz' moments you mentioned Bill. I was watching the feeder and thought 'that one doesn't look right' so I was thrilled to discover what it was.

Thanks once again folks.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back