• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your birding experience (survey) (2 Viewers)

Hello fellow birders! I study Ecology & Biodiversity at the University of Denver and I am conducting a research project on the hobby of birdwatching for a class I'm in. I would greatly appreciate your input for my survey- names and other identifying information will not be recorded.

The survey can be found here.

Thank you very much! And happy birding!

Hi, done. However, be advised that years for “boomer” is off. The baby boom generation started in 1946 which would put the oldest at 77 this year and not 68. Oh, and if you want people to fill out a survey, calling them boomers might not be the way to do that as it is used as a pejorative not just a description.

Hi, done. However, be advised that years for “boomer” is off. The baby boom generation started in 1946 which would put the oldest at 77 this year and not 68. Oh, and if you want people to fill out a survey, calling them boomers might not be the way to do that as it is used as a pejorative not just a description.
Hello- thank you for filling out the survey and for this information. I was unaware of the negative meaning and hope I didn’t offend anyone. I searched but couldn’t find any information on appropriate alternative names for that generation, so I will just remove the generation titles from the survey as they were more for my own visual categorization anyways. Thank you for informing me about that!

Last edited:
Hi Lisa
Thank you taking the time to generate this survey, I just filled it out and I think you did a good job with it. Let us know what you find out!

Survey done. In case the OP continues to read this thread, I am accustomed to "prefer not to say" options for demographic data and while I completed the questions in this case, inclusion of that option should be at least considered in future or participation may be lower.

Cheers

John

Survey done. In case the OP continues to read this thread, I am accustomed to "prefer not to say" options for demographic data and while I completed the questions in this case, inclusion of that option should be at least considered in future or participation may be lower.

Cheers

John
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the survey. It is required that the survey take age data as I have to discard responses from those under the age of 18. But I did make it so that all of the other categories besides age could be left blank if so desired- I will add the "prefer not to say" option to make that more clear next time I conduct research like this. I appreciate your feedback- thank you :)

I want to thank everyone for participating in the survey and contributing to my project. The survey is now closed, and I was able to gather nearly 150 responses from birders of all backgrounds and interests, which is amazing! I thought I would explain a bit more about the project as I was meeting deadlines and in a bit of a rush at the time I initially posted the survey here. So a bit about the purpose of the survey:

I’m conducting an autoethnography for one of my college courses, which is a form of ethnographic research involving some level of personal connection to the subject. The assignment in my class specifically is to conduct a study about a subculture that I personally belong to. Naturally I chose birding! The project involves interview data, survey data, literature review, etc. And while I’m gathering and using data from birdwatchers of all ages, the primary focus of my research is birders of younger generations as they are often not as visible in the birding world. So I aim to unveil some of the motivations/passion/involvement/conservation impact of younger birders :)

Thank you all again for your participation, constructive feedback, and well wishes on my project. I appreciate it a lot!

Happy birding,
Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back