• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favorite Bird? (1 Viewer)

Doughnuteater

It dosen't have to be one you have seen or not seen, just plain and simply...
What's your favorite bird?

Mine is the Western Kingbird!

Last edited:
For me its Brewer's Sparrow. That's the bird that first got me into studying birds, as opposed to "watching" them. Its so drab that many wouldn't give it a second look, but spend some time out in the sagebrush and they grow on you. Hearing 6-7 territorial males singing just after sunrise in the sagebrush, it sounds as if the aliens have landed and their tractor beams are pulling you in. But no, its just a little brown songbird, yet it does pull you.

Gray Jay for sure! I love those secretive, but brave, gracefully drab birds. Plus, at the young birders conference in Minot, ND, Louise Zemaitis gave out bird names to everyone, and mine is Gray Jay, with out her knowing it was my fave.

Having to think about this for so long tells me that I do not have a favourite bird so it would be wrong to try to pick one. There are some that I love to see more than others and they include, Avocet, Kingfisher, Wheatear, Bullfinch, Hen Harrier, Swift.
I could go on...

For me, the common and humble swallow, for its beautiful appearence and magnificent migration flights. They keep me entertained while I buzz about at the farm. I love 'em!

Just back from a month in Eastern Bali. Some nice birds there and other places on the planet. My favorite is still the Scrub Jay though. Crazy-fun-cool. Wilderness and inner-city. Blue -- nest robber, peanut stasher, mimmic, ass-kicker......

My favorite is still the Scrub Jay though. Crazy-fun-cool. Wilderness and inner-city. Blue -- nest robber, peanut stasher, mimmic, ass-kicker......

I'm with you there, the Western Scrub-Jay is all those things, and is one of my favorites. On an occasion in the late fall a couple of years ago a jay flew into a crabapple near where I was standing and sang--a beautiful melodious whisper song which it kept up for several minutes until I broke the spell by moving away. We were eyeball-to-eyeball the whole time; the bird was at head height and only a couple of feet away, and so close I could have reached out and touched it. All in all, a remarkable and memorable experience, though like so much human/scrub-jay interaction doubtless mostly about the peanuts I held in my hand. Unfortunately there have been no repetitions since then--there are always jays about and I always have plenty of peanuts for them, but there's been no more song, only the usual squawks and rattles.

Last edited:
The pileated woodpecker is quite a site. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like a large chicken flying..I loved listening to it knocking on the hollow trees in the woods we used to have...I do miss seeing him since we moved...Sherry8

I can't even pick a favorite...I love them all but if I had to...I guess it would be the cardinal. I used to have 5 pairs before we moved and in the winter with the snow in the background they looked so beautiful. The males and females were always together...Sherry8

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back