• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZDED vs ZDWP (1 Viewer)

ariban

Binocular naming by companies is kind of crazy. Pentax is no exception.
I was talking to Ricoh India’s marketing team and they said both the ZDED and ZDWP Re available- albeit at different prices.
The brochure they shared shows exactly the same features of both. Phase corrected, dielectric and mirror coatings, water repellant coatings on lens exterior etc. ED glass costs more, what else?

Could any member help me understand what is, if an, the difference and why would Ricoh continue with a non ED bin as a part of their premier line?
The price of the 8x43 ZDED (is not waterproof?) is attractive but not the warranty offered.

Thanks in advance.

Arijit

Binocular naming by companies is kind of crazy. Pentax is no exception.
I was talking to Ricoh India’s marketing team and they said both the ZDED and ZDWP Re available- albeit at different prices.
The brochure they shared shows exactly the same features of both. Phase corrected, dielectric and mirror coatings, water repellant coatings on lens exterior etc. ED glass costs more, what else?

Could any member help me understand what is, if an, the difference and why would Ricoh continue with a non ED bin as a part of their premier line?
The price of the 8x43 ZDED (is not waterproof?) is attractive but not the warranty offered.

Thanks in advance.

Arijit
I owned both plus the earlier versions ….. the 8x43 DCF ED and non ED. The obvious differences between all of the 8x43 versions is the non ED and the more expensive having the ED glass. The earlier non ED 8x43 DCF plus the ED versions were all sourced from Japan. Now I believe only the 8x43 ED versions are made in Japan. With the now redesigned (amor) ZD non ED versions sourced from China. Also I believe the ED versions were a tad heavier in the earlier versions among the 8x43 DCF ED’s due to the heavier ED elements. The 8x43 ZDED are water Proof with basically all the other spec’s the same … size, eye relief etc. Yes, you will see the difference in view with the ED versions, also in their build quality being made in Japan. With all this being said, some time has passed since all these were handled by me. If my memory is not quite correct, anyone feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
I owned both plus the earlier versions ….. the 8x43 DCF ED and non ED. The obvious differences between all of the 8x43 versions is the non ED and the more expensive having the ED glass. The earlier non ED 8x43 DCF plus the ED versions were all sourced from Japan. Now I believe only the 8x43 ED versions are made in Japan. With the now redesigned (amor) ZD non ED versions sourced from China. Also I believe the ED versions were a tad heavier in the earlier versions among the 8x43 DCF ED’s due to the heavier ED elements. The 8x43 ZDED are water Proof with basically all the other spec’s the same … size, eye relief etc. Yes, you will see the difference in view with the ED versions, also in their build quality being made in Japan. With all this being said, some time has passed since all these were handled by me. If my memory is not quite correct, anyone feel free to correct me.
Thanks a bunch. How good were the ED bins really? I understand they have a narrow FOV when compared to the present day trend.
Arijit

Thanks a bunch. How good were the ED bins really? I understand they have a narrow FOV when compared to the present day trend.
Arijit
I guess that really depends on the user. Me personally when I was actively using binoculars the FOV whether it was in the low to high 200 range with a 10/12x power binocular or in the 300 range using a 8x power pair of binoculars never posed an issue with me but for many here these numbers would be unfavorable. The Pentax 8x43 ED binoculars would fall in this category and If I had to own only one bin the Pentax DCF ED or the ZDED 8x43’s with their very user friendly 22mm eye relief would suit me just fine. Again when giving my opinion about how good a particular binocular is depends on the user. For me when Pentax first came out with 8x43 DCF’s, their huge 22mm eye relief was a no brainer. Then they added the ED which meant I no longer had to look to a Zeiss, Swarovski or a Leica to get that comfortable view with my eye glasses and the Pentax were considerably cheaper. With the Pentax now having the upgraded ED glass and being eye glass user friendly they we’re pretty popular here for those that could not afford the European brands I just mentioned. Today many here not all would consider the Pentax’s FOV a deal breaker, not me but again this is only my opinion. Being a member here now for some years, one thing I know for sure … BirdForum members opinions here vary widely when it comes to their individual Optics. The easiest way to pick a verbal fight on this forum, just bad mouth one’s favorite brand binocular !

I could not agree more 😆

And I wouldn’t want to get into a pointless quarrel with anyone.

Thank you so very much for your pointed and practical inputs.

Arijit

除了 ED 镜片,ZDED 还增加了平衡光谱涂层

Google Translator:

In addition to ED lenses, ZDED also adds a balanced spectrum coating

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back