• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SFL 10 x 40 or Swarovski EL 10x42 WB ? ? (2 Viewers)

CyPhil

Hello. Until now I was never with binoculars more than 600 euros worth. But my vanguard binoculars are almost ruined and I am getting more demanding as a birdwatcher so I am going for new binoculars and after a lot of research I am now between the Zeiss SFL 10 x 40 and the Swarovski EL 10x42 WB. But it has got impossible for me to decide which is the better choice of the two so I am desperate for advice! Please!

@CyPhil I second the advice of use them both and decide by yourself. I had the same dilemma of choosing one of these binoculars. Finally, I went for SFL 10x40 as I wanted to have a lighter pair of binoculars (yes the less weight makes a difference for me). Also I like the positioning of focus wheel in SFL. However, I am not perfectly happy with my selection as (for me) SFL shows some CA which exceeds my preference. Furthermore, I was unlikely to get a few SFL 10x40 units with QC issues. I would have selected the EL, which I believe to have better optics, unless the weight was not a concern for me.

For me the ergonomics is important with any binocular and many with otherwise excellent optics were returned as they did not feel right in actual use. For me the feel of the Vortex, Swarovski, and Nikon binoculars has been a positive one and much less so for the Zeiss and Leica binoculars I have used. But I also separate the characteristics of the compact binoculars from full size ones.

With compact binoculars in the 8x20 or 8x25 size the Swarvoski have been my favorites but with 12x binoculars I favor Steiner and Vortex. I would also rather have three different $1000 binoculars of varying levels of magnification and objectives size than a single $3,000 do it all binocular. Any binocular involves trade-offs of one kind or another and spending more money on one is not a good solution.

For me the ergonomics is important with any binocular and many with otherwise excellent optics were returned as they did not feel right in actual use. For me the feel of the Vortex, Swarovski, and Nikon binoculars has been a positive one and much less so for the Zeiss and Leica binoculars I have used.
Agree completely except for me the preference is reversed, I like the Zeiss ergonomics over Swaro. You can't decide based on researching the specs, you have to try them out in person. Something as minor as the eyecup positions not fitting your face correctly could make one bino nearly unusable. You might be surprised how many of these expensive binos have things that seem to be huge flaws to some users.

The light weight of the SFL, and lower cost are appealing. If a little bit of false color would drive you crazy those things won't matter. The 24 ounce weight vs. 29 is a big difference, I wouldn't mind giving up a tiny bit of optical performance to get the lighter weight. I like 35mm porros and I have a couple pairs with a touch of false color, but I love the 21 ounce weight so I don't worry about it when using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back