• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss T*FL 8x32 v Zeiss Conquest 8x32 - discuss! (1 Viewer)

Allen

I have both these, the T*FL was for family overseas holidays whilst the Conquest sits in the kitchen for garden viewing. The Conquest is a peach, optically crisp as anything and a joy to use. The T*FL is as you'd expect excellent. I was pondering of I had to keep only one which would it be. Discuss 🙂

I had the 8/32 Victory FL for many years before passing it onto my niece. The best bino I've ever owned imo , much friendlier to use than its replacement, an 8/42 SF. Enough said.
However, a friend bought the Conquests and is very pleased with them.

Last edited:
Hello Allen,

I have never owned a Conquest but the 8x32FL was my principal bird watching binocular for almost seventeen years. I have replaced it with the SF8x32, which is larger and a little dodgy with bifocal glasses. The ergonomics of SF make up for the size and I have accommodated the little problem with my bifocals.
The Conquest has a reputation for durability but I believe it has smaller field of view than the FL.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello all,

the Conquest 8x32 is probably the best in this series and at least visually close to the FL.

I was able to test both side by side for a long time, I like the housing of the FL better as well as the diopter adjustment, the eyecups on the Conquest are a joke, but the eye relief is better for eyeglass wearers, with the FL there is some AFOV loss.

I couldn't notice any difference in sharpness, the Conquest is a bit more saturated so it looks slightly darker, the edge sharpness is better on the Conquest, a little less astigmatism here, the AFOV seemed pretty identical to me.
I couldn't notice any significant differences in scattered light suppression either.
The contrast goes to the FL.

IMO, the FL is still the slightly better binocular overall, although the Conquest would be a good alternative for some glasses wearers.

The Conquest was later replaced by a Nikon EDG 8x32, the FL now belongs to my girlfriend.

Andreas

We have both in the household. I agree with what others have already said. If I could only keep one it would be the FL all day long.

I had tried both but several years between.
I think they are very similar. But I think eye relief is slightly better on Conquest. And I could see no difference in center sharpness of Conquest compared to Swarovski NL Pure 8x42, so it's really super sharp.

I think a really interesting test (out of sheer curiosity) would be a blind test between the FL and the Conquest HD 8x32 for people who have never used both and are unaware of their price. I say this because I think of them of very different proposals, both amazing.

I concur with what @Conndomat says about the "more saturated" touch on the Conquest, which can make the FL look a bit washed in comparison (hey, I'm talking about a "+1500 € washed view", so take it within its intended frame of thought). In fact, I can see how some people may prefer this characteristic of the Conquest HD over the otherwise irreprochable image of the FL. The FL is very bright, very "transparent", but for some reason I find that under certain circumstances the Conquest HD might show more "pop/punch" (whatever you want to call it). I won't say the view through the FL is "lifeless", but sometimes I think the Conquest HD might be a bit more vibrant (yes, a true and genuine exercise of hair splitting going on here).

Also, the way both present their lovely view is also quite difference when it comes to edge sharpness, where the FL degrade a bit more towards the edge (as other size/magnification in the FL family do). Nothing wrong here, again, just a matter of preference, many people would hardly notice any difference if at all (while others simply concentrate on what happens on the centre of the image).

Size and bulk follow what I mention above regarding the view: both are nice to hold, very reassuring. Both have that no-nonsense utilitarian look that Zeiss used to be so good at before the very refined looking SF. But they follow different paths to achieve this nice feel on the hand. The Conquest HD are some of the heftier 8x32 I've experienced, they are on the heavy side, and they probably feel heavier (in a good sense) than they are. This can please some who find this reassurance an advantage helping them getting a steadier view. The FL has this very peculiar and slightly quirky (especially for 2023) ridged bold and stubby body that can be a bit of a pot of Marmite, you either love it or hate it. They are very light, and feel lighter, compared to the Conquest HD, due to their full-plastic construction.

And last, but not least, I think if dealing with these two you have to talk about focus wheels, because, again, both have a distinctly different approach with exceedingly good results. Focus on the 8x32 Conquest HD is really fast, buttery soft, this can be a dream come true for many birders (or a step too far for others; for example, given the shallower depth of field of 10x32, I think that it must be seriously taken into account for the 10x). The FL has a more "dry" but also technically perfect approach. I find that on the FL the wheel itself feels less solid than the Conquest HD, and because it hides the dioptre locking mechanism inside, can give a feeling of being "hollow" (so to speak). Where the focus on the Conquest can seduce some because of its speed and fluidity, the focus on the FL can seduce many with its mechanical precision. Both incredibly good, both very different.

So there you have it. If you forget about price, resale value and focus solely on the optical, mechanical and fit characteristics, it is quite a challenging decision to make, since both offer so much and do things so well but in such different ways. In the end, I think both are so good that a lot of the decision to keep one over the other would have to do with very "personal" (not so much as purely optical) preferences regarding "fit and feel". Personally, I must confess that I somehow prefer the view through the Conquest HD, its focus action, but I prefer the shorter and lighter body of the FL, and I can't forget its amazing clarity (that comes with the toll of that less perceived "punch"). It's a tough one, which only speaks highly of the 2nd tier Conquest HD, really being an "enfant terrible" on the Zeiss family and challenging the venerable grandad FL.

Interesting to read all your views. Thankfully I have no need sell either so can continue to enjoy both!

Have to agree with both Andres and Yarrelllii. I have an 8x32 FL and have compared it to the 8x32 HD side-by-side. I find Yarelli’s comments on the views quite accurate as it is very hard to precisely explain the difference. As previously stated I also find the HDs provide a view that seriously rivals the FLs in a nice package for considerably less money. Personally, I find the HD view a slightly darker hue overall which may lead some to conclude that it offers more apparent resolution and contrast. But I’m not convinced this is the case, as the more I use the FL the more I find that it almost never disappoints, especially in resolution. Also, I find the overall FL handling superior to the HD and love the feel in-the-hand. The composite body is not cold to the touch when the temperature drops, I never have blackouts, the eyepieces are quite comfortable, and when carrying them around my neck almost forget they are there. However, the Conquest HDs are currently on sale here in the USA for $200 off which makes them an incredible bargain. Uncertain if I’ll be able to resist picking up such a high quality unit at that kind of value.

Last edited:
I owned an 8x32 FL back in 2009 for a week. I compared it side-by side with my Leica 8x32BR's. Over the week, in a variety of lighting conditions, both early morning, midday, and late evening, I compared the two on a USAF optics chart (as well as just normal viewing). Both were basically the same in low light, but the BR had slightly, but noticeably, finer resolution (sample of two). Things I liked about the FL's was the eye relief, armoring, and accessories (strap, ocular and objective covers). But somehow, they "felt cheap" compared to my Leica's. At the end of the week I decided they were not an improvement over the Leica's so sent them back. For an eyeglass wearer I could see how the FL would be the ticket. And if I had not had my Leica's to compare them to I could have been as happy as a clam with them - they really are fine binoculars. I know this isn't exactly what the original question was (FL v Conquest), just thought I'd share my thoughts on the FL.

Fair enough ; purely out of interest.....do you still have the 8/32 BR and enjoy them as much as back in 2009? I hope so.
I went to the Leica 8x32 HD in 2014, and that is what I continue to use to this day. The only reason I changed from the BR was because of the HD's Hydrophobic coating.

I always wanted a FL, but never had the opportunity to purchase one at a price I could afford. I found my Conquests here on bird forum like new, and they are absolutely as Stellar as everyone says they are! Have spent a lot of time going back and forth between a friend's Swaro EL 8x32 and the Conquest, the view is really really close to the Swaro. And as an eyeglass wearer I need the eye relief the Conquest provides. I like how short and stubby the body is, easy to hold. The focus is a bit too fast for most observations but sometimes it is helpful.

Last edited:
The focus is a bit too fast for most observations but sometimes it is helpful.
I just could not resist the incredible sale on the 8x32HD back in November. There is a lot to like about the HDs as the view is simply spectacular and well beyond anything expected at that price. Agree with Drew, after spending some time comparing to my other binos the HDs are the fastest in my entire collection. Time will tell whether that fast of a focus will prove an advantage under a wide variety of field conditions.

I think a really interesting test (out of sheer curiosity) would be a blind test between the FL and the Conquest HD 8x32 for people who have never used both and are unaware of their price. I say this because I think of them of very different proposals, both amazing.

I concur with what @Conndomat says about the "more saturated" touch on the Conquest, which can make the FL look a bit washed in comparison (hey, I'm talking about a "+1500 € washed view", so take it within its intended frame of thought). In fact, I can see how some people may prefer this characteristic of the Conquest HD over the otherwise irreprochable image of the FL. The FL is very bright, very "transparent", but for some reason I find that under certain circumstances the Conquest HD might show more "pop/punch" (whatever you want to call it). I won't say the view through the FL is "lifeless", but sometimes I think the Conquest HD might be a bit more vibrant (yes, a true and genuine exercise of hair splitting going on here).

Also, the way both present their lovely view is also quite difference when it comes to edge sharpness, where the FL degrade a bit more towards the edge (as other size/magnification in the FL family do). Nothing wrong here, again, just a matter of preference, many people would hardly notice any difference if at all (while others simply concentrate on what happens on the centre of the image).

Size and bulk follow what I mention above regarding the view: both are nice to hold, very reassuring. Both have that no-nonsense utilitarian look that Zeiss used to be so good at before the very refined looking SF. But they follow different paths to achieve this nice feel on the hand. The Conquest HD are some of the heftier 8x32 I've experienced, they are on the heavy side, and they probably feel heavier (in a good sense) than they are. This can please some who find this reassurance an advantage helping them getting a steadier view. The FL has this very peculiar and slightly quirky (especially for 2023) ridged bold and stubby body that can be a bit of a pot of Marmite, you either love it or hate it. They are very light, and feel lighter, compared to the Conquest HD, due to their full-plastic construction.

And last, but not least, I think if dealing with these two you have to talk about focus wheels, because, again, both have a distinctly different approach with exceedingly good results. Focus on the 8x32 Conquest HD is really fast, buttery soft, this can be a dream come true for many birders (or a step too far for others; for example, given the shallower depth of field of 10x32, I think that it must be seriously taken into account for the 10x). The FL has a more "dry" but also technically perfect approach. I find that on the FL the wheel itself feels less solid than the Conquest HD, and because it hides the dioptre locking mechanism inside, can give a feeling of being "hollow" (so to speak). Where the focus on the Conquest can seduce some because of its speed and fluidity, the focus on the FL can seduce many with its mechanical precision. Both incredibly good, both very different.

So there you have it. If you forget about price, resale value and focus solely on the optical, mechanical and fit characteristics, it is quite a challenging decision to make, since both offer so much and do things so well but in such different ways. In the end, I think both are so good that a lot of the decision to keep one over the other would have to do with very "personal" (not so much as purely optical) preferences regarding "fit and feel". Personally, I must confess that I somehow prefer the view through the Conquest HD, its focus action, but I prefer the shorter and lighter body of the FL, and I can't forget its amazing clarity (that comes with the toll of that less perceived "punch"). It's a tough one, which only speaks highly of the 2nd tier Conquest HD, really being an "enfant terrible" on the Zeiss family and challenging the venerable grandad FL.
Great descriptions and echoing my own thoughts about the 8x32 T*FL, which I love but sometimes seems to lack 'electricity'. The utilitarian design is excellent to me for handling and I like the feel and looks as well as the clear, wide (by traditional standards) image. I have never tried a Conquest but in my case I think the Leica UVHD 8x32 ticks the vibrancy / saturation boxes. Nice to have both but the FL would still win for me for many of the reasons you mention.

Tom

I just could not resist the incredible sale on the 8x32HD back in November. There is a lot to like about the HDs as the view is simply spectacular and well beyond anything expected at that price. Agree with Drew, after spending some time comparing to my other binos the HDs are the fastest in my entire collection. Time will tell whether that fast of a focus will prove an advantage under a wide variety of field conditions.
I’ll be curious to know if you find them more or less agreeable than your FLs!

Swarovision?
Something I found interesting between my friend’s Swaro EL SV 8x32 (manufactured right before the model being discontinued) and the Conquest HD, was that I could not tell a difference in color rendering/presentation or transmission in normal day time viewing, all the way up to sunset. I had to continue to use the binos side by side past sunset and into dusk to perceive differences between the binos. Only by looking at puffy white clouds against a pale blue sky after sunset could I see the differences in color (transmission curve) and overall brightness . To my eyes the Swaro presented the white clouds with a more neutral and accurate coloration: white was white, while the Conquest had a slight but noticeable blue-green cast only visible in the clouds. The Swaro also provided a slight yet noticeable brighter image after sunset and into the twilight. I absolutely could not see these differences in the day, or even a half hour before sunset. And I want to emphasize that these differences are detectable after sunset, noticeable but not drastic, subtle not obvious. Only noticed when looking at clouds. I couldn’t pick up the color shift and transmission differences after sunset looking at terrestrial subjects or birds or deer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back