• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 (2 Viewers)

Ted, thanks. Actually, the answers to some of my qns. are already in your previous posts, which I had read when "stalking" your comments on the ZR, and now remembered on reading again.

Sorry and very surprised to hear about that quality problem! Not great news for us in lands unexplored (by the ZR network), but it's the second time I heard of such a thing, the first being from Dennis, whose exact problem I don't quite remember. That "first week" is not surely the very first? I don't think you told us anythign of it. Hope the bin is perfect for a long time after that's fixed, or you can work out some replacement logistics.

I'm not so lucky with the field of view. I, too wear thick - 4.5 dioptre - specs, but cannot see anything like the full field without mighty and impracticable efforts. Now - this is v. impt. to me - do you actually see a noticeably wider field than you did in the ZR ED3 8x43 (which is unusualy wide for an 8x)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thought this update may be useful. My problems (above) with a 7x43 of critical eye placement and not seeing the full field vanish in an 8x43 (Z-R ED3) I've been using for a few days now. The difference in the stated eye relief is just 18 vs 16.8 mm respectively.

Last edited:
Pompadour,
Thanks to another birdforum seller, I have a 7x43 ED3. I could not all ways see the fieldstop when looking at the view. I could see it on one side or the other, but I could not see them both at the same time. I was convinced that a field stop was not placed exactly so it would give a sharp edging for the view. Has anyone ever been able to see the fieldstops continuously?

I have come to realize that this is one of the natures of a wide view eyepiece. I can see the edge just fine with a bit adjusting, wiggling. As I have gotten used to this binoculars, I have stopped staring at my field stop. The view is good and wide for a 7x binoculars. It is true that the fieldstop is better in my Promaster 8x42 ELX ED and my Zenray 9x36 ED2. Neither of those deliver such a wide exit pupil to my eyes.

I am sure that you will enjoy that 8x43 Zenray ED3. That specification seems to be particularly cherry for its ease of use and the color popping. I don't know why 8x seems better to me than an 10x or a 7x for ED binoculars.

Rob.

Rob,

About your last statement..... some binocular designs are optimized for a certain configuration. Other configurations of the same model are offered but are not necessarily "as good as" the optimal configuration. I am not saying that is the case here but some of the specs on the ED3 series make it plausible.

Rob, I can see the limits of the full field and the stops at both ends, at the same time, but when the apparent field of view is very wide not with the same clarity or "effectiveness" as the field centre, and I note their existence only when I look for them. That is without specs. With specs I still do but a little inward of each is an arc or crescent shape, which doesn't seem to block out part of the image.

Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong here, but not sure I understnd the word "stop" even after reading it in Bf. often since I joined ~ 2 yrs ago, and have assumed it means the black arc that defines the end of the image.

"As I have gotten used to this binoculars, I have stopped staring at my field stop." Me, not yet! One of those weird instances of self-sought trouble popular among folks in this forum. Thanks for your wish. But am already fretting that the FOV seems to be less than stated - inherent in this bin, I think, not due to this user. Also, a bit of play in the focus knob, a bit more than in that 7x. But I'm pretty skilled at trying to see the bright side. I philosophically contemplate that I can philosophically contemplate on various things while I twiddle within the slack. (The bird, in the meantime...) PS Not being sarcastic or bitter. Bird thing meant to be funny - not expecting any such problem at all - friend's new Swarovski SLC HD has ~ the same amt of play. (CJ, if you're reading this no comments involving muffins please.)

Frank, Rob, I didn't really know till now about makers designing "around" a chosen x-power. Of course, in most model ranges with 7, 8 and 10x the bins are pretty close to each other in outside dimensions and wt. In Z-R ED3 all three have a stated close focus of 2 m, which was realised in the 7 and 8x I've used. Wonder if 8 and 10x are less dificult to design "together". Apparently in Z-R ED3 much fewer people have eye placement problems with the 8 and 10 than the 7x. In Leica's Ultravid HD 42 range I've read that their own engineers /some of them esteem the 7x in particular.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I recently received a pair of 7x43 ED3 as a gift for my significant other. I've noticed in reviews that the focus knob travels 360deg from close-focus to inifity; however, the focus knob on my model seems to travel about 1.6 turns (580deg, give or take). I was wondering if I was just misinterpreting the "1 full turn" mentioned in the reviews or if my sample has some sort of issue?

Also, I noticed that the rubber armoring right below the left eyepiece and along the two center 'bridges' appears to be separating from the body of the binocular itself. Is this to be expected, or something about which I should contact ZEN-RAY for warranty based repairs?

Regards,
Justin

http://imgur.com/a/ex1nT

There's an album with some of the pictures of what I mean regarding the armoring issues; it looks both as if it is separating in some areas and simply was cut incorrectly in others. Definitely seems to have more issues for the price range than I'd have imagined.

Last edited:
Could it be that the extra .6 includes the portion that is before effective close up and after it turns "past" infinity? Often the useful portions of the view are preceded and followed by portions of the rotation of the focus wheel before the effective close up has begun and after infinity has been reached. My 32mm LX Ls are like that.

That is why I like to describe the useful portions of the focusing wheel like the face of a clock. For example here: 12 O'Clock begins with a fully closed focus wheel before effective close up. Effective close up begins at 4 O Clock, Infinity at 10 O'Clock and full stop past infinity is at 2 O'Clock. That is roughly how it measures on my Nikon 8x32 LX L.

Bob

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

Your question actually is more or less what I am asking: was the '1 turn' mentioned simply from close focus to infinity, or was the '1 turn' the entire distance the wheel travelled between its full stops.

Also,some observations about the 7x43 ED3:

Wonderful optics. Crystal clear, bright, nice wide area of central sharpness (80%+ of the total field of view, to my eyes; not quite as flat as the McKinley HD but certainly not bad), wonderful Depth of Field, great contrast, great color fidelity. The ease of use was high, due to good eye-relief relative to the shape of my face and eyeglasses along with the aforementioned depth of field and large exit-pupil. Honestly, if this sample lacked the QC issues related to the armor, I would be as happy or happier with it then my Swarovski WB EL; however, as things stands, I'm concerned with further separation between the body of the binocular and the green armoring, particularly below the left eyepiece and at the bridge on the lower left barrel. I'm worried that if this continues to separate, sand and other particles (I work in Coastal TX) will build up and exacerbate the separation.

We shall see what happens after my message to Z-R customer service is acknowledged.

Happy birding,
Justin

I don't have the 7x43 ED 3 anymore, so I can't do a direct re-check. However since your PM, I've been doing a little digging through notes and drafts on the binocular. Reconstructing what I have there and from what memory jogging that did, I would say the binocular has one turn of very fast focus (compared to the ED 2 series) that uses one turn for me and MY EYES to go from close to infinity. There was something a bit over one half turn for me past infinity.

So how does the focus in yours work? Do you have any focus travel past infinity or not? I'm thinking there is a bit over on and a half turns of total focus wheel travel. You are saying 1.6, which is close enough. Just because there was a half turn past infinity for me does not mean there is for everybody.

I always cringe when I see focus comments. I have come to the conclusion there is no way a manufacturer can win that war. :eek!:

Hi Steve,

First things first: I actually love the focus-knob on this binocular as it is very quick and responsive with no slack or play from what I can find. I actually would say I prefer it to my Swarovski's focus-knob, in fact.

Secondly: it seems that what you and Bob mention regarding 'extra' turns is the case. I have maybe about .1 turn focus before true 'close focus' and about .3/.4 turns after reaching infinity.

Thirdly: Zen-Ray customer service responded back and request I send in the binoculars so as to have them replaced due to the issues noted in the armoring. I will likely take them up on this offer, as there already appears to be increased separation under the left eyepiece than initially noted. It seems as though Z-R expects a higher quality from their products than the sample I received and is quick to rectify the issue, a trait I sincerely appreciate. One of the reasons I chose Z-R was their reputation with regards to customer service and warranty issues, something I can now say is well-founded. I believe that, aside from shipping, I am liable for no extra payments. This warranty related service is very similar to what I've experience with Leupold, Vortex, and Swarovski, all of which in my mind have some of the best warranties in the business (I've heard horror stories related to Leica, Zeiss, and Nikon CS).

All the best,
Justin

Justin,

My apologies on not replying to your PM. I read it on my phone right after you sent it but couldn't respond right away. The 1 turn simply referred to focusing distance from close focus to infinity. There was more travel beyond infinity.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back