• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zhumell Nova ED 8x42 (1 Viewer)

FrankD

It has been awhile since I did any reviews. Part of the reason is because I have been busy doing a variety of family activities and the other part is simply because there haven't been any interesting models in my current price range (note: I have had an order in through binoculars.com for a Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 since early June and they have yet to arrive at the retailer)

A few weeks ago I was surfing Cloudy Nights when I noticed that someone posted a link to these Zhumell Nova EDs. They were/are on clearance for between ($91 and $101). They attraced me for the obvious reasons....price, the use of ED glass, the wide field of view and the relatively compact body design for a 42 mm binocular.

I do remember noticing them a few years ago on the same site and I believe the regular retail price for them then was $229. So, I ordered a pair just to see how they perform/handle.

They arrived a little over a week ago and I have been using them daily in conjunction with several other models I have on hand. Those binoculars are either comparable in price or comparable in optical configuration (Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32, Bushnell Legend 8x42 (original model) and the Leupold McKinley BX-4 8x42).

The Nova EDs come with functional accessories (carrying case, rainguard, padded neoprene neckstrap and objective covers). The last is of the internal compression variety typically found on many camera lenses.

Ergonomics and design:

The Nova ED is a relatively short 42 mm binocular approximately 1/4 of an inch shorter than the Bushnell Legend and almost identical in this area to the Sightron 8x32s. Advertised weight is 26 ounces which I find to be accurate based on feel. The focusing knob is average in size and comparable to the Sightron in diameter. Minimum close focus is a hair under 6 feet. Close focus to infinity is just under 1 full turn with about an extra 1/4 turn past infinity in travel. Focusing tension is very smooth with no backlash or gaps whatsoever. Diopter adjustment is located directly behind the focusing knob with a small raised bump to indicate specific setting.

The eyecups rotate out in the typical fashion found on most binoculars today. They have one intermittent stop between fully collapsed and fully extended. I find them average in feel and in construction. Both the ocular and objective lenses are coated in the typical purple/green coloration. Internal baffling appears present immediately in front of the prisms but not on the first inch or so behind the objective lenses. I did not note any bright, non-blackened surfaces while looking down each barrel.

Eye relief is listed as 17 mm and most of that is effective eye relief as the ocular lens surface is only recessed ever so slightly from the eyecup surface. Field of view is advertised as 426 feet (8.2 degrees) and comparing that with the McKinleys it seems accurate.

Optical Performance:

Let me start off by mentioning something that almost immediately jumped out at me when using these for the first day or two. They reminded me of some other bins in terms of the overall optical impression....speaking primarily of the level and type of distortion present coupled with the size of the sweet spot. They remind me a bit of the Zen Ray Vista and the Vortex Diamondback. Both of those models always gave me a bit of a relaxed feel simply because the sweet spot appears relatively large and the transition from the sweet spot to the edge is very gradual and not distracting. The same performance applies here except there is very good apparent sharpness inside the true sweet spot. CA is also very well controlled inside that "super sweet spot" with a very gradual transition outside to the very edge of the image.

I would estimate sweet spot size to be between 70-75% with the area outside of it being some field curvature but predominantly astigmatism as I can't refocus it completely.

Color representation is relatively neutral with an ever so slight green/yellow bias. It is only evident when comparing them directly to the Sightrons (reddish) and the Leupold (neutral to slightly warm). Contrast is good but not very good or excellent. I would rate it slightly behind the Sightron but slightly ahead of the Legend.

Apparent sharpness is very good within the sweetspot. Again I would rate it slightly behind the Sightron but ahead of the Legend. Apparent brightness is average. The image doesn't appear dim by any stretch of the imagination but when comparing them to the Leupold and the Sightron I get the impression of slightly less brightness. This could be the result of the slightly lower contrast and or a lower light transmission level. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that this is either the result of less effective multicoatings or possibly an aluminum, instead of silver, prism coating. Again, most of these performance characteristics are only evident in direct comparison to the other models. As a stand-alone product none of these issues are particularly evident.

Nitpicks/pet peeves:

I really only have one particularly considering the price. The diopter knob has proved troublesome at times. Once set it doesn't move on its own but rather is easily bumped from the desired location. Since it is located so close to the focusing knob I have found myself occasionally turning it when attempting to turn the focus.

Summary:

For under $100 I don't see how you can really go wrong with this model. I think it was competitive at its original price point with many of the other $200-$225 models out there. At the $100 price point it doesn't really have any competition. Judging by information from over on Cloudy Nights there are approximately 70 pairs of these left so I would suggest grabbing one as a solid backup binocular, good starter binocular or even a car bin.

Pics to follow. Give me some time to upload them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Digi-binned shot of one of my backyard feeders through the Zhumell with my IPhone. Distance is about 10 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 205
It has been awhile since I did any reviews. Part of the reason is because I have been busy doing a variety of family activities and the other part is simply because there haven't been any interesting models in my current price range (note: I have had an order in through binoculars.com for a Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 since early June and they have yet to arrive at the retailer)

A few weeks ago I was surfing Cloudy Nights when I noticed that someone posted a link to these Zhumell Nova EDs. They were/are on clearance for between ($91 and $101). They attraced me for the obvious reasons....price, the use of ED glass, the wide field of view and the relatively compact body design for a 42 mm binocular.

I do remember noticing them a few years ago on the same site and I believe the regular retail price for them then was $229. So, I ordered a pair just to see how they perform/handle.

They arrived a little over a week ago and I have been using them daily in conjunction with several other models I have on hand. Those binoculars are either comparable in price or comparable in optical configuration (Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32, Bushnell Legend 8x42 (original model) and the Leupold McKinley BX-4 8x42).

The Nova EDs come with functional accessories (carrying case, rainguard, padded neoprene neckstrap and objective covers). The last is of the internal compression variety typically found on many camera lenses.

Ergonomics and design:

The Nova ED is a relatively short 42 mm binocular approximately 1/4 of an inch shorter than the Bushnell Legend and almost identical in this area to the Sightron 8x32s. Advertised weight is 26 ounces which I find to be accurate based on feel. The focusing knob is average in size and comparable to the Sightron in diameter. Minimum close focus is a hair under 6 feet. Close focus to infinity is just under 1 full turn with about an extra 1/4 turn past infinity in travel. Focusing tension is very smooth with no backlash or gaps whatsoever. Diopter adjustment is located directly behind the focusing knob with a small raised bump to indicate specific setting.

The eyecups rotate out in the typical fashion found on most binoculars today. They have one intermittent stop between fully collapsed and fully extended. I find them average in feel and in construction. Both the ocular and objective lenses are coated in the typical purple/green coloration. Internal baffling appears present immediately in front of the prisms but not on the first inch or so behind the objective lenses. I did not note any bright, non-blackened surfaces while looking down each barrel.

Eye relief is listed as 17 mm and most of that is effective eye relief as the ocular lens surface is only recessed ever so slightly from the eyecup surface. Field of view is advertised as 426 feet (8.2 degrees) and comparing that with the McKinleys it seems accurate.

Optical Performance:

Let me start off by mentioning something that almost immediately jumped out at me when using these for the first day or two. They reminded me of some other bins in terms of the overall optical impression....speaking primarily of the level and type of distortion present coupled with the size of the sweet spot. They remind me a bit of the Zen Ray Vista and the Vortex Diamondback. Both of those models always gave me a bit of a relaxed feel simply because the sweet spot appears relatively large and the transition from the sweet spot to the edge is very gradual and not distracting. The same performance applies here except there is very good apparent sharpness inside the true sweet spot. CA is also very well controlled inside that "super sweet spot" with a very gradual transition outside to the very edge of the image.

I would estimate sweet spot size to be between 70-75% with the area outside of it being some field curvature but predominantly astigmatism as I can't refocus it completely.

Color representation is relatively neutral with an ever so slight green/yellow bias. It is only evident when comparing them directly to the Sightrons (reddish) and the Leupold (neutral to slightly warm). Contrast is good but not very good or excellent. I would rate it slightly behind the Sightron but slightly ahead of the Legend.

Apparent sharpness is very good within the sweetspot. Again I would rate it slightly behind the Sightron but ahead of the Legend. Apparent brightness is average. The image doesn't appear dim by any stretch of the imagination but when comparing them to the Leupold and the Sightron I get the impression of slightly less brightness. This could be the result of the slightly lower contrast and or a lower light transmission level. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that this is either the result of less effective multicoatings or possibly an aluminum, instead of silver, prism coating. Again, most of these performance characteristics are only evident in direct comparison to the other models. As a stand-alone product none of these issues are particularly evident.

Nitpicks/pet peeves:

I really only have one particularly considering the price. The diopter knob has proved troublesome at times. Once set it doesn't move on its own but rather is easily bumped from the desired location. Since it is located so close to the focusing knob I have found myself occasionally turning it when attempting to turn the focus.

Summary:

For under $100 I don't see how you can really go wrong with this model. I think it was competitive at its original price point with many of the other $200-$225 models out there. At the $100 price point it doesn't really have any competition. Judging by information from over on Cloudy Nights there are approximately 70 pairs of these left so I would suggest grabbing one as a solid backup binocular, good starter binocular or even a car bin.

Pics to follow. Give me some time to upload them.

Frank:

Nice review, and they sound like a very nice choice in this level.

I like your background in the photo. I have the same out my front
door, and as a farmer, I have corn growing out my front door.
We need rain, as it has been dry this summer.

Jerry

Phil, Jerry,

Glad you both enjoyed it. This does seem like a good idea for a Christmas present.

I have corn growing on two sides of my property. The corn is a good 7 feet high on both sides. Feels like I am living in a forest. :) Thebirds love to sit on the top of the stalks and eat the seeds. Between that and the hummingbirds frequenting the feeders like crazy right now I always have plenty to train an optic at.

We have had plenty of rain here lately. I think I remember seeing a report that this was the wettest July on record for the Philadelphia area (about an hour or so southeast of me).

Thanks for the review Frank.
I've put in an order for these myself and am waiting on delivery.

Has been mentioned here before that these seem to be a direct rebranding of the Helios Nirvana EDs. Look and specs are identical to me, but can't confirm myself. Only difference I can see is the the Nirvanas had a 1 year warranty whereas the Novas have 25 years but whether or not Zhumell will be around that long to honour it is another question entirely.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2146461&postcount=11

Interestingly, bestbinocularsreviews have done an in depth review of the Helios Nirvana EDs and also as a comparison the Vanguard Endeavor EDs (although 10x42 not 8x42). Their scores were 75/100 and 85/100 respectively (although this reviewer seems to like almost every bin they review) which for the Nirvanas is respectable although understandably for the price not class leading. According to the review the Nirvanas have silver prism coatings but I suppose no guarantee that the Novas are the same, perhaps the average brightness is due to the multicoatings being average quality.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Helios8x42Nirvanna-ED-98.htm

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vanguard10x42EndeavorED-106.htm

Also the Helios Nirvana ED was reviewed in birdwatch.co.uk

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/reviewitem.asp?review=3162

Huey,

Thank you for the links. They do appear to be the same model with some slight inconsistencies. I enjoyed reading the reviews.

I’ve had the 8x42 Nova ED’s for 24 hours and I have to agree with FrankD, @ $95.00 it’s a no brainer. These are keepers. I’ve been looking for a good car bin and the Nova ED will spend the rest of its days there.
I’ve been comparing them to my 8x42 Zeiss Terra ED’s in between the rain (been raining and overcast here for 3 days) and so far I’d be hard pressed to pick a winner.
The Terra ED has a better fit and finish but the Nova ED is not bad either, especially at the sale price. The Terra ED is a little brighter which is noticeable on direct comparison but the Nova ED’s apparent sharpness is better and it has better depth of field by which I mean less minor focus adjustments with the Nova ED.
Speaking of focus, the focus mechanisms are a little different. The Terra is smooth with good damping and no “play” in the movement. It is however quite fast IMO. Focus is either “spot on or not on”. The Nova ED’s focus does not have quite the feel of the Terra ED but there is no “play” and no backlash. It is also slower and more forgiving then the Terra ED. Good focus can be reached and then tuned even finer with a slight adjustment. I personally prefer the Nova ED’s focus style.
The Nova ED’s wider field of view is noticeable and both control CA pretty well in the center of the FOV. At about 60% out I can induce CA and on black wires against a gray sky it’s pretty obvious in both. The falloff in sharpness is gradual in both bins but it’s more noticeable in the Nova ED because of its wider field of view. Sweet spots are similar @ 60% - 70% of the FOV. Eye relief seems a little more forgiving in the Terra ED.
All in all, these are two very competent bins. Obviously, in my opinion, the Nova ED represents more value for your money but the Zeiss reputation and warranty need to be factored in.

BP,

Now you got me beat! I was going to compare the Nova to the Terra whenever binoculars.com actually ships me the Terra's. GRrrrrrrrr!

;)

BP,

Now you got me beat! I was going to compare the Nova to the Terra whenever binoculars.com actually ships me the Terra's. GRrrrrrrrr!

;)

Aw shucks Frank. My little review was just the opening act. Just there to get the audience warmed up.;)
We’re all waiting for the main attraction which will be your in depth discussion of the relative merits of these two bins.
And, if you’d like, you can borrow my Terra ED’s for a while. We’re not that far apart (geographically speaking) .I’d really like to hear what you have to say about the Terra/Nova.
You know, I wonder if the marketing guys watch each other. “Hey, Zhumells got a Nova, let’s do a Terra.” I wonder.
Tom

I think this really speaks to the convergence of quality in lower priced bins. Pretty much any $200-500 China-bin is going to be pretty darn good optically, whether it's the Zhumell or the Terra or the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD or a Zen-Ray or a Monarch. The differences are primarily going to be about build quality, quality control, and your preferences for optical priorities (width of field, amount of CA, size of sweet spot, off-axis aberrations) and ergonomics.

I don't think the Terra's blow away other binoculars in the "budget" class optically at all; what I like about them is the very refined build quality for the price point (e.g. the smooth well-damped focus knob action, the quality of the eye cup twist mechanism and firmness of the detentes), and the fact that the FOV, while not as wide as some other ED options, is very well corrected with a large sweet spot and minimal off-axis aberrations. Just a bit of curvature and mild astigmatism at the edges, and minimal pincushion. Plus of course the "Zeiss" name is going to be backed by a great warranty and superior resale value.

Thanks for posting about this, FrankD.

The Nova is very optically impressive for $100 to say the least and they seem pretty well built too.

I like them much better than the Ultra Legend HD that I tried a few years ago as well as the Caldera.

Last edited:
Do you have any further thoughts on these now that you've had them a bit longer, Frank? I don't currently have an 8x42 and might get these.

I don't have any complaints and continue to stand by my original evaluation of this unit. Very comfortable to hold and pleasing to look through....particularly at this price point.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back