• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Norfolk this weekend. (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Just want to ask for some advice here. OH and I are considering going to Norfolk for a days birding this weekend (weather better be good for this one). We will be traveling from Bedford, so it means an early start.

Titchwell RSPB is one spot that has been suggested so far to us. Any other places mentioned would be a bonus.

Can you recommend any good spots, and areas that birds are very apparent. My OH is thinking along the lines of places where there are a lot of Bullrushes, luscious growth which attracts birds that like this environment. Any tips and advice, would be appreciated.

Also, any good places that are nice for some pub food or the likes, you could recommend to us.

I will keep any information here no matter what, as many more trips to Norfolk will on the cards in the near future too. We just need to find our way around, and get to know the best spots.

Thank you in advance
Kathy
x

Titchwell would be good for excellent close views of all kinds of birds. Bearded Tits in the reed beds, Waders on the scrapes, Brambling and Redpolls around the visitor centre, Ducks on the sea. You could quite easily spend a whole day there.
Snettisham would be good for the Wader roost and probably skeins of Pinkfeet over, if you time it right with the tides.
As for pubs - I've never had a bad meal in any of the pubs i've tried along the North coast. So, just pick one that looks good to you. That's all we do!

Have a v nice trip. :)

dave...

Hi Kathy. I agree about Titchwell but would suggest Cley as well. They have a nice new visitors' centre and you can even sit in there and look down over the reserve while you have something to eat. The food has been surprisingly good when I've been there. Titchwell is an RSPB reserve, so is free admission if you are a member and Cley belongs to the NWT and costs £5 each, I think.

There are many lovely spots in North Norfolk, Blakeney or Wells for example, and there are birds to be seen everywhere. I am sure you will get some more suggestions.

Ron

If you are going to Titchwell then it's also worth dropping in at Choseley barns which is a good spot for yellowhammer and corn bunting. Also it's worth driving down to Thornham harbour, you often get waders very close and it's a good spot for barn owl.

If you go to cley check out the White Crowned Sparrow close to the 3 swallows pub this should get your day off to a good start good luck and happy birding

I'm probably better qualified to recommend pub food than birding places so here's a few:-

The Lifeboat at Thornham - fairly standard pub fare but definitely better than some.

The Chequers at Binham - usually something slightly more offbeat here - the Nile Perch was excellent - and they brew their own beer.

The Hero at Burnham Overy - has all the usual pub favourites but also a selection of more up-market stuff- still reasonably priced though - and thoroughly recommended (by me).

The Bell at Wiveton - roughly on a par with The Hero.

The Red Lion at Stiffkey - all the normal stuff again - nice homemade burgers.

The Anchor at Morston - food is much better than the pub looks.

Weekends you would almost certainly need to book at The Bell or The Hero

I did by-pass one pub up there recently, the menu was:- Chicken pie - Steak pie - Mushroom pie - Cod in batter, and that was all.

PS. You won't find any Bulrushes at this time of year.

Just back from Norfolk today - been there since Sunday. Weather been gorgeous except for a short sharp hail storm one day. Cold mostly but very bright. Yes, we saw over a dozen yellowhammer and some corn bunting at Chosely. Also 3 red-legged partridge in the ploughed field behind the barns - the field to the right of the barns, I mean.

Seen one or more barn owls every day - lesser spot in Holkham woods, also redwing, nuthatch & treecreeper.

Will post a report shortly.

Sandra

Just back from Norfolk today - been there since Sunday. Weather been gorgeous except for a short sharp hail storm one day. Cold mostly but very bright. Yes, we saw over a dozen yellowhammer and some corn bunting at Chosely. Also 3 red-legged partridge in the ploughed field behind the barns - the field to the right of the barns, I mean.

Seen one or more barn owls every day - lesser spot in Holkham woods, also redwing, nuthatch & treecreeper.

Sandra

Hi there everyone

Some great birds to see, and a Bearded Tit would be a real treat to see. :-O

Thank you for your replies, and all information has been noted now. Once OH is back from his work today, we are going to discuss what were are going to do, and how we find our way around. :t:

hi John

Thanks for pub information to. There are enough pubs around so we will investigate that too. :t:

Looking forward to this now :-O:-O

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Love to read your report when/now it is available

:-O:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back