• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outlook Express 6 probs (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
(Before everyone says, don't use Outlook Express, I've been having loads of problems with Netscape!)
OE was working fine until today when I accidentally deleted my account details. When I typed them in again (correctly, as far as I can tell), I had no problems downloading mail but I cannot send any. I get the following message:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'kenneth.noble@xxxxx'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to xxxxxx is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Does this mean anything to anyone? As far as I can tell, I've not set any security settings.

Surreybirder said:
(Before everyone says, don't use Outlook Express, I've been having loads of problems with Netscape!)
OE was working fine until today when I accidentally deleted my account details. When I typed them in again (correctly, as far as I can tell), I had no problems downloading mail but I cannot send any. I get the following message:

Does this mean anything to anyone? As far as I can tell, I've not set any security settings.

A couple of weeks ago I had the same problem for about a day. I had it again yesterday, in the evening.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
'[email protected]'. Subject 'test5', Account:
'pop.tesco.net', Server: 'smtp.tesco.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
'550 relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I notice that you use NTL (which apparently runs the Tesco ISP). I don't think this is am OE problem as I contacted Tesco.net and the problem was rectified almost immediately. Try contacting NTL.

Mark

I think this error message refers to the server of the ISP you sent the email to, i.e that it was, for whatever reason, unable to accept your email - this is nothing to do with your PC or software so far as I can see.

Send yourself an email and see if it is delivered almost immediately - I bet it is!

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I don't think it's to do with the recipients' ISP.
I tried sending an email to myself at three different email addresses and it still wouldn't go. I got the message
An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'PlusNet', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

(PlusNet is my own ISP). It was working fine until I accidentally removed the details and had to reinstall them, yet I just cannot find anything that's incorrect.

I have, in the past, had problems on reinstalling email progs - but each time, what I found was that I wasn't typing in the correct POP3 and SMTP addresses, or I left out a dot in the email address. I know it sounds silly - but have you checked all this?

The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall WinXP (if that's what you're using) over the top of itself - that usually resolves such problems.

scampo said:
The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall WinXP (if that's what you're using) over the top of itself - that usually resolves such problems.
Bit drastic! A reinstall. Best bet IMO if using XP is go to add/remove windows programmes, remove explorer and outlook E. Shutdown/Boot up/Shutdown and finally boot up, do a reinstall of Explorer etc and 'hopefully' the problem should be cured.

Or go to Microsoft FAQ's, the answer to the problem will be there, problem will be finding it;-)

CB

Sounds like an authentication problem; maybe your dialup details do not match the mail server - check your ISP web pages on how to setup IE, perhaps you are not logged on correctly there.

Andy.

satrow said:
Sounds like an authentication problem; maybe your dialup details do not match the mail server - check your ISP web pages on how to setup IE, perhaps you are not logged on correctly there.

Andy.

The strange thing is that I can download emails without any problem.
I'm reluctant to reinstall Windows... it's almost bound to lead to some other problem, but even if it doesn't it takes ages. (I'm using Windows 98 SE btw).
I've tried the Microsoft knowledge base, but none of the references to Error Number: 0x800CCC0B seem relevant.

Well, I solved the problem :D ----by restoring my registry settings from a couple of days ago. It looks as if deleting a profile somehow changes the registry and then when you try and restore that profile, there's something that doesn't work.
Thanks for everyone's help.

CravenBirds said:
Bit drastic! A reinstall. Best bet IMO if using XP is go to add/remove windows programmes, remove explorer and outlook E. Shutdown/Boot up/Shutdown and finally boot up, do a reinstall of Explorer etc and 'hopefully' the problem should be cured.

Or go to Microsoft FAQ's, the answer to the problem will be there, problem will be finding it;-)

CB
Not really - WinXP allows easy "repair" on many problems through a reinstall over the top of itself. It loses no settings and takes only about 40mins to complete. Safe as houses and often does the trick.

Surreybirder said:
The strange thing is that I can download emails without any problem.
I'm reluctant to reinstall Windows... it's almost bound to lead to some other problem, but even if it doesn't it takes ages. (I'm using Windows 98 SE btw).
I've tried the Microsoft knowledge base, but none of the references to Error Number: 0x800CCC0B seem relevant.

Downloading and sending are two different protocols for a lot of ISP's. I can download from many ISP email accounts but only send from the one I am connected through.

It has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Surreybirder said:
Well, I solved the problem ----by restoring my registry settings from a couple of days ago. It looks as if deleting a profile somehow changes the registry and then when you try and restore that profile, there's something that doesn't work.

Most things that are filled in with 'wizards' are loaded into the registry; indeed the file that you download from an ISP when you sign-up for an account, will change all the registry settings in one go.

Glad you knew how to back-pedal Windows!

If you had saved your original ISP file to disk - you could simply have double clicked it to reinstall your settings. If you can find the file, try opening it in notepad - it's quite easy to read! Even shows your password!

Regards,

Andy.

satrow said:
Glad you knew how to back-pedal Windows!

If you had saved your original ISP file to disk - you could simply have double clicked it to reinstall your settings. If you can find the file, try opening it in notepad - it's quite easy to read! Even shows your password!

Regards,

Andy.

Thanks, Andy.
Yes, fortunately I've learned how to restore previous registry settings through reboot, F8, regedit
It's saved me on a couple of occasions. I could write quite a bit about all the mistakes I've made with Windows 98, and the lessons I've learned! But I'm still very much a learner. (I've no idea where my original ISP file is for example. and I've no idea why I cannot get Netscape to run. It was fine before I last reloaded windows.. which I had to do because I had so much trouble installing my adsl usb modem. Anyway, now that OE is working, I'm leaving well alone on the principle that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!) :news:

Surreybirder said:
I've no idea why I cannot get Netscape to run. It was fine before I last reloaded windows.. which I had to do because I had so much trouble installing my adsl usb modem.

Try using Mozilla Firebird http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/ - simply unzip it to the directory of your choice and double-click the MozillaFirebird.exe file. Self-contained i.e. no registry entries (as far as I know), quick, reasonable security, pop-up blocker etc.

Andy.

Alastair Rae said:
Found this: http://www.domainscape.co.uk/technical_faq/outlookexpress_errormessages.htm
which says:
"The server does not recognise the senders email address as being valid. Invalid email address in the mail profile. Tools / Accounts / Properties / General. Check email address is correct - whatever@something.[yourISP]. "

I think what that means is that it does not like your return "from" address.

Thanks, Alistair,
You're quite right. I had put my own address in wrong :stuck: but the fundamental problem was sorted when I reset the registry.

I've even managed to read my old Netscape messages now, which is a relief.
Ken

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back