• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Krabi and environs (1 Viewer)

Birdbox

staringin2thevoid
Anyone fancy a stab at the optimum time for a visit to Krabi by one birder who does n't mind a bit of beach holidaying and one beach holidayer who does n't mind a bit of birding?

Anyone fancy a stab at the optimum time for a visit to Krabi by one birder who does n't mind a bit of beach holidaying and one beach holidayer who does n't mind a bit of birding?

What you wanna see birdbox?

Mangrove Pittas easiest when calling (so April good, possibly March), deeper in the winter (Nov-Feb) good for Nordamans Greenshank. Winter good for Xmas Island Frigatebirds on Phi Phi (I saw a couple over new year just passed, from a dive boat).

May-Oct = wet season, so not so good for the sunbathers, but good deals in hotels and if you are lucky you can miss the rain altogether for a few days.

Thanks for the interest.

I was testing the water really to see if March, in this area alone, would provide enough birding to keep me going for a fortnight. Or would I need to get about a bit?

Is lone birding possible on foot? by bike? m/bike? public transport? taxi or hire car? Does the area have various habitats on the doorstep? etc.

I went at the end of March and had a great few days. We found the pitta easily with Mr Dai's boat trip and had Nordmann's Greenshank out on the flats. If you're going you really should visit Khao Nor Churchi for the Gurney's....unbelievable bird! We had a hire car as we did the whole country but I'm sure there's a bus from Krabi to KNC.
Ads

Yes, March would be a good time to visit Krabi, and yes, lone birding can be done easily, by public transport or hire car/motorbike.

There is a local bus that can take you to Khlong Thom (the nearest town to KNC), and then you take a motorbike taxi to the Morakot Resort (where birders normally stay when going for Gurney's Pitta). If you are time-limited it is probably best to hire Yothin as a guide at KNC to give you the best chance of scoring the Gurney's, though he's not cheap.

A very good reference for info for birding here is thaibirding.com (look under "locations").

If you are time-limited it is probably best to hire Yothin as a guide at KNC to give you the best chance of scoring the Gurney's, though he's not cheap.

That is, if you don't mind birds being baited to a hide by Yotin and his assistants using meal worms in order to increase your chance of seeing a Gurney's.

Ethically, I find this very disturbing and you don't need to bait them to see them. I've seen them plenty of times without resorting to cheating.

And, Yotin is very expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back