• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Took an old pair out for a spin (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
Do you ever take an older binocular out for some use, that you have not for a long time?

Did that this a.m.

It was the Bausch & Lomb 10x40 Audubon Custom (porroprism circa mid-1980's). It was my first 10x for daytime use. Had not used them for easily 20 years.

It only has a FOV of 5.2 degrees, but what a 5.2 degrees! Flat until literally the edge.

Good eye relief, good close focus, and generally, as far as resolution/sharpness, edged out by my Zeiss 7x42 Classics & Nikon 8x32 SE, kind of.
Not waterproof, and about 30 oz.

These where part of a trio of "affordable" & Audubon "endorsed" porros B&L had in the 1980's.

7x26 (now the Bushnell 7z26 Elite). A reverse -porro design. Still have mine. Best compact (if WP not a factor), there is, yet.

8x36. Excellent also, no longer have.

Kind of made me think again, how manufacturers come out with new models, but improvements are not by leaps and bounds. Some of it, I think, is their need to sell something.

I have two Swift Nighthawk 8x40 porros with a 9.5* field. I took one out I got back from a refurbish a while ago, and it had just sat in the box for awhile. So, I decided to take it for a spin.

Now, I have to admit that they are not as bright as today's stuff, they are just fully coated, and Bk-7 glass, but they are useful enough, I do not feel much of a handicap when using them. They saw everything I need to see then, and likely still would do the same today.

Same with my old Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovids. Still quite usable. I take them out on the deck every now and then and look around.
Bob

It only has a FOV of 5.2 degrees, but what a 5.2 degrees! Flat until literally the edge.
Wouldn't just about any half decent binoculars be flat (I assume you mean focused) to the edge if they were masked back down to 5.2 degrees? It's about a 30% reduction for many.

Wouldn't just about any half decent binoculars be flat (I assume you mean focused) to the edge if they were masked back down to 5.2 degrees? It's about a 30% reduction for many.

I meant free of apparent aberrations other than CA. As you may have noticed, as you approach the edge of the field, the image in most binoculars will start to degrade, even among the alpha bins.

Yes, at 5.2 degrees, one would hope for a flat field;), now days. I Think that is one way they hit the price point they did, at the time with these.

All though CA is very well controlled, to the point of not noticable in use on these also.

I have an old pair of chinese binoculars here...
Took them for a spin and...
good quality hahaha!

I will make a review one of these days...
"Chinese binoculars review - the review that nobody ever did"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back