• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos on the BBC (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
For those with an interest in Lesvos, or biology or Aristotle, you may be interested in a BBC programme shown on 17 Jan which is still on the BBC iPlayer - Aristotle's Lagoon. This is a fascinating programme about Aristotle and his time on the island which formed the foundation of his biological hypotheses and publications. On a different level it is simply interesting to see familiar Lesvos landscape, villages and towns.

Access the programme via BBC iPlayer here.

Thanks Robin. That'll allow me to record it as well!

Two points I found really interesting -

1. the image of a chameleon - I thought these had become extinct on the island so this was an error or, since the programme had so much local help, this may have been checked and is OK. I'll dig around.

2. the natural history museum featured is at Vrissa north of Vatera. I didn't know about this (hence its not in my book!) so I'll be interested to have a look around later this year when I'm on the island.

Hi Steve,

I watched this programme last night after I came across it completely by accident. I found it very interesting and the scenery and wildlife/bird film footage was great to see. I am planning to visit the Island at some point in the future so watched with interest. The subject of Aristotle's work and the book he wrote was fascinating.

I might record it on Thursday and take another look.

Happy Birding

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back