• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critters and Suet Feeders (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

OK Guys and Gals,

Does anybody know what critters besides birds like suet feeders? For 3 of the past 4 days, I've refilled my hanging suet feeder with woodpecker bars and suet cakes, only to wake up the next morning and find that it's been raided. In two of those instances the feeder was laying on the ground; one time a whole new woodpecker bar was gone and the other time an entire suet cake (plastic tray and all) was missing. In the third instance, the feeder was still hanging from the extender hook, but the entire suet cake and tray was once again missing.

I'm suspecting raccoon, but even that's kind of a stretch with him being able to lift the lid on the feeder, remove the cake, and then lower the lid back down (it's the type of lid that slides along the rope hanger).

Anybody have any ideas?

GR

I'd bet the farm (if I had one!) that it's raccoons, GR......they are really adept at opening, getting in to, prying apart, carrying off, any kind of suet holder! They will also do that with seed feeders!

Right now, I am not having much of a problem with raccoons raiding any of my feeders, as I put out a big pan of horse feed every evening....it attracts deer, but the raccoons love it also....and they stay away from the bird feeders....for the most part!

The feed I buy is $4.99 for 50#...it is mostly cracked corn, oats, and some alfalfa pellets, all doused with molasses. Much cheaper than sunflower seed!

p.s. The other thing you can do, is bring the feeders in at night....it's a pain, but it saves your suet for the birds! :eek:)

Don't have any bears in the vicinity do you GR? ;)

Growing up, my brother and I used to place wagers on how fast a raccoon could open up a feeder. They are extremely crafty critters.

Marianna has the right idea. Even if you only do it for a week or so and possibly your critter will move on.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back