• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Stork (please critique) (1 Viewer)

FernandoBatista

This is the first pic I post here, give me your opinions please.

Shot with a Fuji S7000+Tcon17 at ISO200, f3.2, 1/4000.

Attachments

• 847.jpg
    847.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 437
Wonderful shot, Fernando.

I cannot give you an expert critique, but I think it is a great picture, and unusual pose, and is set off really well on the blue background.

I've heard a rumour that the sky is that colour in some countries... ;)

birdman said:
Wonderful shot, Fernando.
I cannot give you an expert critique, but I think it is a great picture, and unusual pose, and is set off really well on the blue background.

Thank you for the kind comment.

birdman said:
I've heard a rumour that the sky is that colour in some countries... ;)

:) I guess that's why so many of you (Englishmen) likes to come here.:)

It's a great shot - no doubt about it - but you asked for critique not praise: I think you have not cropped it quite right, you are too close to the tail of the bird on the right. (I do realise you may have had to crop there to cut something else out).

I am sure everyone else will feel differently! :)

redshift said:
It's a great shot - no doubt about it -
Thank you, Redshift.

redshift said:
but you asked for critique not praise:
You're absolutely right, I did ask for critique and I'm glad you told what you're really feeling. That's the purpose of posting pictures on forums and the only way to learn, if everyone tells a person that their pics looks great no matter how bad they really are, then that person wouldn't get very far.

redshift said:
I think you have not cropped it quite right, you are too close to the tail of the bird on the right. (I do realise you may have had to crop there to cut something else out).

I am sure everyone else will feel differently! :)
You're probably right and perhaps the crop is a little too tight, there was nothing on the sides so I could left it larger but honnestly I cropped it so much because there was only a lot of empty sky and , so I end up liking it more like this, but looking again it wouldn't do no harm in leaving it with a little more sky.

Regards,
Fernando

Nice pic! :). That's a good catch! Woah at 1/4000? :-S... was it that bright overthere? :p.

Yeah, besides the "sky", I thought that it could maybe be a little bit brighter, with regards to the stork itself. However, it's of course rather difficult, considering the amount of light and the angle of it. We don't want the details from the stork's feathers to disappear either.

But maybe a small brightness/contrast adjustment could do the trick... just a little bit :-D. I think that's just a "personal taste" issue, as the pic in itself captures the details; provides a "rare" shot; is sharp.

Look forward to seeing more of your shots in Portugal:). Maybe some flying football players too hahaha :p.

Penguin said:
Nice pic! :). That's a good catch! Woah at 1/4000? :-S... was it that bright overthere? :p.

My friend... this is Portugal :) Very often I shot at 1/5000 to 1/8000.

Penguin said:
Yeah, besides the "sky", I thought that it could maybe be a little bit brighter, with regards to the stork itself. However, it's of course rather difficult, considering the amount of light and the angle of it. We don't want the details from the stork's feathers to disappear either.
But maybe a small brightness/contrast adjustment could do the trick... just a little bit :-D. I think that's just a "personal taste" issue, as the pic in itself captures the details; provides a "rare" shot; is sharp..

Thanks a lot for the comments/idea.

Penguin said:
Look forward to seeing more of your shots in Portugal:). Maybe some flying football players too hahaha :p.

LOL, we never know, that's a very common species at this time in Portugal.:)

Regards
Fernando

I don’t have a problem with the cropping. If everything is blue around the bird you can’t very well use the rule of thirds. Not much you can do but center the bird.

Did you take that as a 12Mp raw shot? The Tcon 17 seems to be working well for you.

slipe said:
I don’t have a problem with the cropping. If everything is blue around the bird you can’t very well use the rule of thirds. Not much you can do but center the bird.

Did you take that as a 12Mp raw shot? The Tcon 17 seems to be working well for you.

Allthough I shot Raw most of the time this was shot at 12Mp Jpeg fine.
Yup, the Tcon17 is indeed a fine lens.

Thank you for the comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back