• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Ecuador - 2 months or more (1 Viewer)

Coati

Yo Vi Quetzales!
Hola

My wife and I would like to explore Ecuador and it's birds and beaches +++

Can anyone advise how we might do this on a moderate budget, say 2000 USD /month.

We would prefer to house rent in a couple of areas 1 beach, 1 forest type as we do in Costa Rica; also where we can walk etc. We are used to forest/jungle and extensive travelling

I realise it's a little different in Ecuador or is it?
Any input would be most welcome.

Rich

I don't know if this is too late for an answer, but you can easily manage for less than what you would spend.
A typical meal is about 2-3 dollar max.
A typical small hotel is about 7-15 dollar/night for a double.
Most lodges and reserves ask around 5 dollar for birding.
Transport will add around 1-5 dollar/day on average
Some little shopping will cost 1-5 dollar/person/day (breakfast, water, cookies, batteries etc).
So all in all, without guiding, you would have to spend between 15 and 25 dollar/person/day if you go at ease. If you are in a rush, expect to pay more for private/fast transport, a more expensive place to stay and maybe a guide here and there, and you easily spend double.
If you want one area of each, I would suggest Tumbes (for the endemics and the beach), the Baeza area with San Isidro and Huacamayos for East Andes slope birding, and the Mindo area for West slope birding.
Those places can still be done cheap. The further you go down, the more expensive it will be in general, as those lowland sites (especially in the east) are logistically more difficult to do independently (but it is still possible).

I am thinking a bit more cost wise..... I know those are the cheapest costs and that can be had...but I find most people do not want to live like that for a few months. Ecuador is a relatively expensive country since they use the US dollar as their currency. If you want to be a tourist, you will pay to be one with all the rights and privileges that come with it which is cost. Although Temmie is right in all that was stated, realistically look for something in between what you have suggested and that of Temmie.

I frequent ecuador coast often....during the off season (non whale watching time) ...or country fiesta's...you can get a hostel for under $10 a night for a single, twice whatever for two people. Food, although it can be had for as little as suggested runs higher in restaurants that have a bit better hygiene wise going for it. But a meal can be had such as dinner for 6-8$.... If you go by bus.... You can travel from Quito to the coast for $24 or so apiece... When on the coast, the buses are 25cents apiece and you walk the rest of the way or you can rent a taxi. Usually taxis' will run $5 for a short run of lets say 10-15 KM. So you can base yourself in one spot and go from there. Those are coastal prices, ...Quito is more expensive.

i have seen relatively cheap guides on the coast for $30-35....in mindo area a cheap guide is $50 or so per day.

The best places obviously are around Mindo Valley area in the highlands. If you stay in a hostel there, you will find your choices range from $10-15 a night all the way up to $100 or so. Just depends on how comfortable you are with creatures in the night. you can take the bus from Quito to Mindo and it is pretty cheap...a few bucks, or a cab or car which is more expensive (upwards of a $100 although I would never pay that. ) Food in Mindo is pretty expensive..

I have not been to the Amazon...nor Esmeralda but if you go the latter, get a guide for safety.

Watch it around Guayaquil too, a pretty dangerous place.

Hi Rich,

Not sure when you are planning on coming down but I may be able to help as I live in Quito. You need to keep in mind that although this is a very small country it is very diverse. You may be able to rent a small apartment in some areas for a short period. As far as the coast I would recommend something around Machalilla National Park. This would give you the greatest diversity as far as birding since you also have access to Isla de la Plata where you will find many of the birds that are see on the Galapagos.

A forest areas is a little more difficult since we have both the western and the eastern slopes, with a wide difference in the avifauna. If it were me I would try to locate a place in Mindo. It is a nice little town with a wonderful diversity in birds.

Sorry I can't give you prices because that will depend on how rustic you wish to get. If you would like some help drop me a PM.

Hope this helps some

Hi

Thank you all for the info; apologies, only just saw replies!

some useful stuff here; Steve will PM later if I need more info; thanx for offering :)

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back