• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-finned Pilot Whales (1 Viewer)

CornishExile

rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!
I had a brilliant start to my cetacean-watching year this weekend - a pod of 20+ Long-finned Pilot Whales in Lerwick Harbour last Saturday.

I was on my way to pick up a group of wildlife tourists I was to lead around Shetland for the weekend when a text came through about possible Risso's Dolphins in Lerwick. I was just minutes away, so found myself alone on the pier in town watching not the expected Risso's but the much scarcer in a Shetland context Long-finned Pilots. Just 50 metres off the pier... Awesome!

There's more photos and videos of the whales here - http://hughharropwildlifephotography.blogspot.com/

ce

Attachments

• 110305 Long-finned Pilot Whales 093BF.jpg
    110305 Long-finned Pilot Whales 093BF.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back