• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Hawker (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Didn't see how this fabulous beast became incapacitated.. I'm guessing a Sparrow or something was feeling peckish. Anyway its minus a wing - its also the first Brown Hawker I have had in the garden!

Attachments

• BH1.JPG
    BH1.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 385
  • BH 2.JPG
    BH 2.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 391
Jane Turner said:
Didn't see how this fabulous beast became incapacitated.. I'm guessing a Sparrow or something was feeling peckish. Anyway its minus a wing - its also the first Brown Hawker I have had in the garden!

Hello Jane,

Your Brown Hawker apparently became damaged during emergence, crippled winged specimens like that are not uncommon around breeding sites. Most however don't manage to get airborne and soon end up as food for the local bird population.

Harry

I find these very hard to photograph and the only pic (not digitised) I have is of an injured one in my kitchen. I thought at the time that was a collision injury. Its a powerful insect and I reckon a sparrow would have a fight on its hands. Perhaps a close encounter with a Red-footed Falcon ;).

Jane Turner said:
I'm no where near a breeding site though! Nearest is oooh 15 miles away...

Three wings are perfect and the 4th is missing!

Hello again Jane,
Sorry from the second photo it appeared that one wing was crippled and hanging down. If just one was missing, (I can see the stump) I would put it down to bird damage. Possibly even your sparrow could have done this. It is unusual for a Dragonfly to loose this much wing otherwise. I would like to bet there are nearer sites to you than 15 miles. Brown Hawker had been expanding its range rapidly in the last few years and it can breed in small garden ponds.

Harry

Perhaps I was exaggerating wrt range.. but I have only seen migrants up here... usually at sea!

I've seen the garden sparrows chasing Emporers and Southern Hawkers before...the latter turned the tables and chased the sparrow of course

The flight powers of dragonflies are amazing. We've had a broad-bodied chaser in our garden many times this year, and when the sparrows fly near it takes off almost instantaneously. I hope we get a brown hawker, too!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back