• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey ! (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Had one of those days today where you just can't make your mind up where to go, and by the time i decided on biking to Hickling Broad it was too late anyhow. So, settled instead for my local patch, hauled myself off on my bike down to Burgh Castle and back along the southern bank of Breydon Water. A lovely afternoon with the sunshine, boats on the river etc, bit noisy near the pub but it is summer so can't be helped.

Several waders about -
Redshank
Curlew
few Avocet
a single Golden Plover in summer plumage
Black-tailed Godwits
1 Whimbrel
good few Shelduck scooping up the mud

On the water -
c20 Gt Crested Grebes
2 Common Tern
Cormorants
Mute Swans

Around and about in varous places -
Swallows
House Martin
2 Yellow Wagtail
Whitethroat
Blue Tit
Blackbirds
Woodpigeon
Lapwing
Stock Dove
1 Marsh Harrier
3 Little Egret
Coots
Little Grebe

On the way back along the path i spotted a ''rather large seagull'' further upriver, though something about it looked a bit odd and worthy of further inspection so pedalled up a bit. By the time i got closer & reached in my saddlebag for the bin's again i was fairly sure it wasn't a gull and knew exactly what i was hoping it was.

Stunning .... there in front of me plunging into river .... on my own local patch ... an Osprey. Before a speedboat came past and spooked it away off east i was treated to 10 minutes of the best birding display i could have hope for, even at times right over my side of the river, wing and head details, soaring, splashing into the water, the works.

Fantastic :bounce:

That is how we search for them on the Exe. Looking from the platform at Bowling Green and looking for a large gull that doesn't look right and then hope it flies towards us. Often they do, I had two over my head last year and it was one of the highlights of the year! Still waiting for this year's though.

Great stuff Carlos!! I had the delight of twenty plus housemartins decide to spend the night in my martin boxes!! I was delighted as the hobbies have moved on and left the way free for them to return!! Ospreys are a very different thing though, what a delight to have them appear in your local patch!! Wonderful stuff!! I wish you sheer joy of them! Wish I could make the journey there but as I can't then your sighting is pure joy to my heart! Well done!

Phew i feel better knowing i'm not the only one to liken them to gulls at a distance. Have to say i was quite made up about seeing it, only the second one i've seen after the first a few weeks ago up at Wheatfen Broad, but this was by far a better view ... and right on my doorstep.

Hi Carlos,
The conversation at Rutland Water often goes along the lines of:

What's that....
Seagull...
Don't thinks so, it's an Osprey...
You sure, looks like a seagull to me...
Could be, you. You may be right..
Wooooaaaa!! never seen a seagull do that...
No, It's an Osprey

Gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back