• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broadfield farm,thames chase,Upminster (1 Viewer)

The sniper

I have taken on the role of Wildlife Liason Officer at this site as a Volunteer,i spend alot of time there and know alot of people there so i hope to be of some use to the people there if i can.I have already noticed more birders attending the site since i started reporting my sightings there on the yahoo group,to the elbf site and on the site board.

Recent highlights are 2 fem Bullfinch,1 male heard today
Buzzard,flocks of c30 redpoll,similar size siskins.Green Sandpiper.
Jack Snipe,Grey wagtail
Barn Owl,Woodcock,snipe and plenty of finches,thrushes,corvids.

The site and others like it are 20 years into a 40 year plan,Broadfield farm was a working farm but fell into a state of disuse some 25 years ago,the land was aquired and with the forestry commision in tow,new woodland was created along with meadows and pathways was created.It is situated by the M25 and a new scrape has been made because of the widening that is going on.
The trees like Alder and beech are starting to mature and now hold good numbers of redpolls,siskins,goldfinches as well as many other birds,it promises to be an exciting site as it matures further and i will keep you posted on any significant sightings via this thread,cheers,rob

I will also be creating a blog or website to give visitors/potential visitors information to sightings etc,with other details as well,will start working on it when my daughter stops climbing all over me!!!

Last edited:
Today at Broadfield Farm
7 Bullfinch (5m 2F)
Peregrine
Buzzard
Prob Marsh Harrier (see blog for rubbish pictures lol)
Snipe
Redshank
Siskin
Redpoll
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel

I have seen them 3 times in the last week or so,another birder has seen them a couple of times.I didn't see them this morning but i wasn't there for long,first thing around 8am seems to be the best time along the path nearest pike lane to the South east of the site.

Todays highlights :- Buzzard,Corn Bunting,Green Sandpiper,Grey wagtail

Todays Sightings :-

Woodland area,near Pike Lane :- c20 Redpoll,6 Siskin,at least 8 Green Woodpeckers,2 Buzzards over,3 Kestrel,10 Greenfinch,goldfinches,3 Wrens,goldcrest

Great Barn :- 8 Yellowhammer,6 Greenfinch,c50 Redwing,8 Fieldfare,plenty of Skylarks,goldfinches,Little Egret

Scrape:- Grey Wagtail,Pied Wagtail,Green Sandpiper

Nice to meet Dave and Brenda today at Broadfield farm,sorry you didn't get the Bullfinch on site,although getting one on the road outside is near enough.The Willow warbler you saw would be compensation though,nice and early but not as early as the one reported last week a couple of miles away at Belhus,same bird possibly??
looked for the WW myself but no luck but time was limited as i had to go to work,will check thursday when i am back over there.

Other sightings:-Grey wagtail,Sparrowhawk,3 Yellowhammer,4 Goldcrest,3 Lesser redpolls,siskin,greenfinch,kestrel (3)

Last edited:
A very brief visit to broadfield,just before dusk saw
4 redpolls sp
jay
Kestrel
Green woodpecker

Willow warbler & Redshank were also reported from the site today

Last edited:
How certain is the willow warbler ID? I'm not trying to doubt anyone's ID skills or anything, but as far as I know it is highly unusual for them to over-winter, despite that one up in Norfolk. Has it been singing? And even so, are people sure it's a WW and not one of those stupid willow-singing chiffchaffs? It's probably one of the "rarest" birds in Essex at the moment...

I spoke to the finder today,he is doubting the sighting because someone else raised the same concerns,although his instinct is willow warbler.
I have looked and listened the last 3 days and have seen or heard no willow warbler & chiffchaff,had there been chiffchaff overwintering I would of probably heard it seeing as I have more or less been living over there the last 3 weeks.
Someone reported one yesterday as well but they are anon.
There has been one reported signing at Belhus around 10 days ago Howard informed me as I asked him about it first.
I agree re over wintering birds and although very early for a migrant,nothing would surprise me the way the weather has been and the amount of southerly winds we have had.
With regards to Thames chase,I will report anything I am told unless it's completely ridiculous like the golden eagle someone reported today at the same time I was looking at a buzzard lol

How certain is the willow warbler ID? I'm not trying to doubt anyone's ID skills or anything, but as far as I know it is highly unusual for them to over-winter, despite that one up in Norfolk. Has it been singing? And even so, are people sure it's a WW and not one of those stupid willow-singing chiffchaffs? It's probably one of the "rarest" birds in Essex at the moment...

It would be the earliest ever for Essex. There hasn't been a notable influx of spring migrants (Wheatear, LRP, Sand Martin etc) anywhere else in the country.

Call me a cynic if you like... ;)

Willow Warbler ID.

I hold my hands up, my Willow Warbler ID was incorrect. Thanks to all, with far better knowledge than me, i have now learnt so much, regarding WW & Chiffchaff ID. The bird i saw was obviously a Chiffchaff. I am now focusing on WW & CC song & calls from a cd,in preperation for spring. Hooray i hear you say. Now, if any of you want a good chance of seeing Bullfinches, get along to Thames Chase Forest Centre, Upminster. We had great early morning sightings of them, thanks to the Sniper. A very friendly & helpful chap, he is Liason Officer at this sight & was only too pleased to help.

Cheers David,hats off for admitting a mistake,although if one turns up today I will laugh,although unless I get out of heathrow pretty sharpish I wouldn't see it.
Chiffchaff nethertheless is a good bird for the site and it's one I have yet to get on my year list,it's one of birdings easier mistakes to make that one.
My uncle who got me into birding when I was very young taught me that birds can turn up at any time,any place and to check every bird however simple you think the ID is,sadly he passed away when I was only 11 and my ID skills and my birding suffered without his guidance,I have made similar mistakes as I am sure everyone has,it's part of the hobby and why we keep plugging away,every mistake is a lesson learned,in fact you learn more from mistakes than you probably do from correctly identifying a bird.
Hopefully see you soon

Pretty quiet on site today,although I only managed a couple of hours sandwiched in between 2 visits to Heathrow(wonderful)
First thing,one observer had 3 male bullfinch,another 1 male and another 1 female.
4 goldcrest were seen with kestrel and a female sparrowhawk.
Blackcap was heard and 1 redpoll (lesser) reported
C60 redwing on the ground and skylarks a plenty.
With regards to the Bullfinch,I believe there are 5 males and at least 2 females around the site but this could possibly be higher.

This morning at Broadfield farm
Scrape:-Green Sandpiper,Yellowhammer,Grey wagtail,Mallard
woods c20 redpoll sp,2 Siskin,8 Greenfinch,8 Jays
elsewhere,meadows,5 Yellowhammer & at least 10 Skylarks seen
Buzzard & Sparrowhawk overhead

Enjoying your reports Rob, no mention of the lovely Bullfinches. Will visit soon & hopefully find your Redpoll. They would be our first sightings, if we can get lucky. See you soon, D & B.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back