• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital camera advice please. (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
Hello Folks, I'm new to this section although I feel like I live on another section of this site at times. OK preliminaries over, down to the nitty gritty.

Last night I was offered a digital camera by a friend who has owned it from new for the past 18 months. My own experience of camera's is restricted more to Box Brownies than modern equipment.

It is a Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom. 3.1 million effective pixels, 6.03 million recorded pixels, the camera comes with loads of built in doodads, bells, whistles and flash. It also has Macro and Super Macro settings. With it was a case, three packs of rechargable batteries (new) a 128 meg memory card, also new, a mains battery charger, CD-ROM, and the Cable connector to download to a USB port.

I know it is good working order as he took a number of pictures on different setting, with and without flash and downloaded then onto his PC. He wanted to dispose of it, because he has bought something better.

I was wanting a decent camera to take close up photographs of insects and I thought that this camera may be suitable.

In a rash moment of enebriation I gave him the £100.00 he was asking for everything.

My questions are:-

1. Will it take good quality close up pictures of insects.
2. Have I been had. or,
3. Have I got a bargain.

I would appreciate an experts view.

I have done a web search looking for prices but it appears to be a discontinued line. The only one for sale I can find is on eBay in France at 450 Euro's whatever they are.

Thanks,

Harry

Hi Harry

I would say that you got an excellent deal,this camera is the successor to the Finepix6900 which was a great camera.It will take good photos of insects just remember to use a tripod or other support.Good luck with your new camera.

Regards Steve.

stevo said:
Hi Harry

I would say that you got an excellent deal,this camera is the successor to the Finepix6900 which was a great camera.It will take good photos of insects just remember to use a tripod or other support.Good luck with your new camera.

Regards Steve.

Many thanks Steve, It's nice to know I haven't bought a lemon.

Tripod!! I knew there would be a catch somewhere. LOL.

That sounds awkward as most of the insects I hope to catch will be near ground level. I presume there are short (ish) tripods?

This sounds very complicated, even assuming the camera is fitted to the tripod, by the time I get it in position, work out what buttons and settings to use the insect will have either hibernated, or be in the next county.

Cheers,

Harry

harry eales said:

2. Have I been had. or,
3. Have I got a bargain.

Thanks,

Harry

Hi Harry,

I too have a 602 and have been very pleased with it. Using the macro mode has been easy and fun. If you have good light and can use a fairly fast shutter speed, hand holding the camera should be fine. You may need to experiment with ways to get good light to the subject such as using a light colored panel to reflect daylight to the area needed.

Attachments

• Drangonfly_resize.jpg
    Drangonfly_resize.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 241
Korat68 said:
Hi Harry,

I too have a 602 and have been very pleased with it. Using the macro mode has been easy and fun. If you have good light and can use a fairly fast shutter speed, hand holding the camera should be fine. You may need to experiment with ways to get good light to the subject such as using a light colored panel to reflect daylight to the area needed.

Hello Korat68
Many thanks for the advice. So it's Tripod, and reflecting panel(s) MMmmm It's a good job I have a van. What's next, a script writer, gaffer or best boy. lol.

A beautiful shot of that dragonfly. I will endeavour to emulate it.

Cheers,

Harry

Hi Harry, that sounds like a good deal you got there, the only thing you might need is another memory card, I find it easy to take lots of shots when out in the field and its handy to have a spare card. I use a DSLR to photograph birds but a simple Nikon Coolpix 4500 to photograph butterflies etc. and I find its a case of point focus and shoot! and I get reasonable results ( see my gallery ) If you need any more advice PM me its the least I can do for all the Butterfly/Moth info you have helped me with lately!
Good luck
Paul ;)

pauliev69 said:
Hi Harry, that sounds like a good deal you got there, the only thing you might need is another memory card, I find it easy to take lots of shots when out in the field and its handy to have a spare card. I use a DSLR to photograph birds but a simple Nikon Coolpix 4500 to photograph butterflies etc. and I find its a case of point focus and shoot! and I get reasonable results ( see my gallery ) If you need any more advice PM me its the least I can do for all the Butterfly/Moth info you have helped me with lately!
Good luck
Paul ;)

Hello Paul,
Thanks for the offer of help, I promise that I will not send more than 10 PMs a day. lol.

I will get another memory card as soon as I have located a reasonably priced source. There seems to be a considerable variation in price and I haven't won the lottery yet.

Harry

harry eales said:
Many thanks Steve, It's nice to know I haven't bought a lemon.

Tripod!! I knew there would be a catch somewhere. LOL.

That sounds awkward as most of the insects I hope to catch will be near ground level. I presume there are short (ish) tripods?

Hi Harry

I use my coolpix on a monopod it gives me good stability and lets me get right in close. I can even get good sharp pic's even at 1/15 of a second.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Hi Harry

I use my coolpix on a monopod it gives me good stability and lets me get right in close. I can even get good sharp pic's even at 1/15 of a second.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I suppose these monopods come in different sizes and are telescopic to some degree. I see I have a lot to learn here, It's a good job I still have my Box Brownie, at least that is simple to use. lol.

Harry

Tripod? Monopod?

Most of my recent Darter photos that I've posted in my gallery over the last few days were taken one-handed (as was my Adonis Blue butterfly entry in the recent monthly comp.)!

I'm not familiar with the Fuji, Harry, but if it handles comfortably you should be able to get good shots without any other paraphernalia - although a 'shade' or magnifier-viewer for the screen could be useful if you use manual focus. A bit of practice with real subjects will soon show whether the autofocus performs OK in the macro area or whether manual focus is more suitable.

Obviously, in lower light levels when a slow shutter speed is required some care needs to be taken, but again with practice you can get away with quite long shutter speeds as there are no mirrors flipping up as in an SLR and the very short focal lengths of the lenses also help (I think!).

Adey Baker said:
Tripod? Monopod?

Most of my recent Darter photos that I've posted in my gallery over the last few days were taken one-handed (as was my Adonis Blue butterfly entry in the recent monthly comp.)!

I'm not familiar with the Fuji, Harry, but if it handles comfortably you should be able to get good shots without any other paraphernalia - although a 'shade' or magnifier-viewer for the screen could be useful if you use manual focus. A bit of practice with real subjects will soon show whether the autofocus performs OK in the macro area or whether manual focus is more suitable.

Obviously, in lower light levels when a slow shutter speed is required some care needs to be taken, but again with practice you can get away with quite long shutter speeds as there are no mirrors flipping up as in an SLR and the very short focal lengths of the lenses also help (I think!).

Hello Adey,
Thanks for your comments, I've just finished reading the users manual, all 91 pages of it. I've understood about 5% of it. Never mind, if I read it every night for a couple of weeks I may learn more.

It's a good job it doesn't use film, I would soon be bankrupt experimenting with it.

Thanks everyone who has posted advice I'm very grateful to you all.

Harry

Another vote here that you got a good deal, Harry.

If you're new to digital photography, I'd recommend the digestibly sized intro articles here :
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en
Just click on "Articles" on left. Or perhaps someone else can chime in with something better.

As regards insect photography, remember enjoying looking through this :
http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm

Hope this new adventure of yours turns out to be fun :t:

normjackson said:
Another vote here that you got a good deal, Harry.

If you're new to digital photography, I'd recommend the digestibly sized intro articles here :
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en
Just click on "Articles" on left. Or perhaps someone else can chime in with something better.

As regards insect photography, remember enjoying looking through this :
http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm

Hope this new adventure of yours turns out to be fun :t:

Hello norm,
Many thanks for those URL's I'll have a look at them tonight. I'm going to need all the help I can get here I think.

Harry

CJW said:
Perhaps Ken can give you a few tips Harry......

Hello Chris,

I had already considered that, for all of 0.00001 of a second.

Mind you, I bet he'll have a dig or two at me, if and when, I post any pics. I've taken the mickey out of his pics too often, for him to not get his revenge.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Folks, I'm new to this section although I feel like I live on another section of this site at times. OK preliminaries over, down to the nitty gritty.

Last night I was offered a digital camera by a friend who has owned it from new for the past 18 months. My own experience of camera's is restricted more to Box Brownies than modern equipment.

It is a Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom. 3.1 million effective pixels, 6.03 million recorded pixels, the camera comes with loads of built in doodads, bells, whistles and flash. It also has Macro and Super Macro settings. With it was a case, three packs of rechargable batteries (new) a 128 meg memory card, also new, a mains battery charger, CD-ROM, and the Cable connector to download to a USB port.

I know it is good working order as he took a number of pictures on different setting, with and without flash and downloaded then onto his PC. He wanted to dispose of it, because he has bought something better.

I was wanting a decent camera to take close up photographs of insects and I thought that this camera may be suitable.

In a rash moment of enebriation I gave him the £100.00 he was asking for everything.

2. Have I been had. or,
3. Have I got a bargain.

I would appreciate an experts view.

I have done a web search looking for prices but it appears to be a discontinued line. The only one for sale I can find is on eBay in France at 450 Euro's whatever they are.

Thanks,

Harry
It was one of the most highly regarded digital cameras of recent years, Harry. It is supremely easy to use, and you'll love it eventually for its macro abilities - even using the built in flash. It also takes any external flashgun with a hot shoe so bounced flash is a dream. I love mine and have taken some extraordinarily good shots with it. Its 3+ million pixels are also easily enough given the high quality of the lens to take good shots with some cropping and enlargement.

The only "downside" is that it is not a camera for digiscoping - and... you'll need to become proficient with a good digital photo editor such as Photoshop Elements.

£100? You have a gift.

scampo said:
It was one of the most highly regarded digital cameras of recent years, Harry. It is supremely easy to use, and you'll love it eventually for its macro abilities - even using the built in flash. It also takes any external flashgun with a hot shoe so bounced flash is a dream. I love mine and have taken some extraordinarily good shots with it. Its 3+ million pixels are also easily enough given the high quality of the lens to take good shots with some cropping and enlargement.

The only "downside" is that it is not a camera for digiscoping - and... you'll need to become proficient with a good digital photo editor such as Photoshop Elements.

£100? You have a gift.

Hello Scampo,

Thanks for your post. I obviously need to experiment a little and get some additional accessories. I have got Adobe Photoshop 7 on my computer which I use for downloading and enhancing some of the Thumbnails posted for ID. If this doesn't work well, I have been toying with the idea of getting Paintshop Pro, but that's expensive.

I'm happy now everyone has convinced me I have a bargain. lol.

I'll have to practice a lot before posting any pictures or Ken (Surreybirder) will be on me like a ton of bricks, for all the stick I've given him about the quality of his pictures. lol.

I must admit this camera seems more complex than the cockpits of many powered aircraft I've flown, but I suppose lots of practice is all I need. The Manual will be compulsory bedtime reading for a week or two, instead of Playboy and Forum magazines. lol.

Once I get a good picture, I'll post it.

Harry

Photoshop 7 is much more expensive than Paintshop Pro.

With Photoshop and what is evidently a highly-rated camera you've got no excuses now Harry!

Adey Baker said:
Photoshop 7 is much more expensive than Paintshop Pro.

With Photoshop and what is evidently a highly-rated camera you've got no excuses now Harry!

Hi Adey,
I didn't know that, you have just saved me about £80. Remind me I owe you a drink if we ever meet. lol.

I have got an excuse, I don't know how to operate the camera...... YET.

Harry.

harry eales said:
Hello Scampo,

Thanks for your post. I obviously need to experiment a little and get some additional accessories. I have got Adobe Photoshop 7 on my computer which I use for downloading and enhancing some of the Thumbnails posted for ID. If this doesn't work well, I have been toying with the idea of getting Paintshop Pro, but that's expensive.

I'm happy now everyone has convinced me I have a bargain. lol.

I'll have to practice a lot before posting any pictures or Ken (Surreybirder) will be on me like a ton of bricks, for all the stick I've given him about the quality of his pictures. lol.

I must admit this camera seems more complex than the cockpits of many powered aircraft I've flown, but I suppose lots of practice is all I need. The Manual will be compulsory bedtime reading for a week or two, instead of Playboy and Forum magazines. lol.

Once I get a good picture, I'll post it.

Harry
You have the best photo editing program, too - well, you're well away now. But my it can be complicated and time consuming. I like three other lovely little and cheap / free progs that work from within Photoshop as "plug-ins" and will make your life easier when using PS7 - they do the work for you in sharpening and improving your shots. When you have a minute do a 'Google' search and read up on them. They are Colorwasher, FocalBlade and NeatImage. Well worth your while.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back