• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Britain & Europe? (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a returning Birdwatcher who having dusted down his old Mitchel Beasley Pocket Guide, treated myself to Rob Hume's Birds of Britain & Europe RSPB/Dorling Kindersley ISBN: 0751312347. I've found the photograph's stunning and the descriptive information excellent. I haven't seen many references to it on this thread - recommendations seem to be for the Collins guide - am I missing something by not having the Collin's Guide, and if so can someone give me the ISBN?

I think a lot of people prefer illustrations to photos and on that basis the Collins is considered by many to be the best.
The ISBN is 0-00-762145-0 , which is the small hardback version.
There is also a 'soft' small version and a full-size hardback...certainly worth buying one of them in my opinion.

Grousemore said:
I think a lot of people prefer illustrations to photos and on that basis the Collins is considered by many to be the best.
The ISBN is 0-00-762145-0 , which is the small hardback version.
There is also a 'soft' small version and a full-size hardback...certainly worth buying one of them in my opinion.

Yes, you definitely ought to get one of these! And get the small version for field use. The ISBN for the paperback version is 0007 113323. The large (full size) book is great to fully appreciate the beautiful illustrations, though.

Robert

Just a word of warning for the uninitiated (I'm not suggesting you are, Richard!): there are three or four different bird guides with Collins's name on the cover/spine (including the iconic Peterson, Mountfort & Hollom). THE Collins guide referred to here is by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom & Grant. It is an awesome book. The large format version is impractical to take into the field, but the paintings are just jawdroppingly beautiful. I've got both the large and the small.

Last edited:
I must confess an addiction to field guides - I've got about seven, and all have strong and weak points - with the real exception of the Collins Bird Guide, which is the one I use if I'm taking notes and referring back to a FG later. For actually out in the field, I still tend to carry Peterson (not the latest edition) which, although it has a few shortcomings, has very few bad illustrations, and has the useful diagnostic feature for ID. If I had to rely on just two books, it would be these two, one for on the run, the other for leisurely reference. Lars Jonsson is excellent in some places, but in others (Woodpigeon, Robin, etc) seems more impressionistic than ultra-realistic. That said, some of his drawings have character and are better as art than as scientific representations of the subjects.

Cheap Mullarney etc Collins Guide

On a visit this week to the south coast of England I discovered the small Collins hardback available at Sussex Stationers in Bexhill-on-Sea at £9.99. I believe there are other branches in the south and that it is also part of the British Bookshops chain which has a branch in Oxford Street London.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying from cut-price booksellers as when I lived in Germany it seemed to have resulted in bookshops that stocked nowhere near the range of British ones and consequently suffer a personal moral dilemma but it is one BIG reduction as I believe the rrp is £24.99.

Just to add to the confusion, Americans can get the Collins book in a Princeton press version, as Birds of Europe, same authors and illustrations, Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom & Grant.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back