• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cockwood Marsh/Exe Estuary Devon January 25th 2003 (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Exceptionally mild weather for late January, and dry after recent rain.
All day walk with Rod and Sue Lawrence. 17 participants. Start: 10.00 at Cockwood harbour.

As we gathered in the tiny car park by a hairpin bend reminiscent of the Italian Alps, a flock of 20 or so Brent Geese flew in and landed on the nearby golf course – our first stop. There, we saw around 150 Oystercatchers in the sodden grass, and a few Redshank. 60 Lapwing flew in to join the fun. Several Curlew and Black-tailed Godwit were dotted about, along with a handful of Teal, looking lovely with their ‘custard triangles’ (copyright: Kevin) glinting in the winter sunshine. Beyond the golf course is the Exe Estuary and running alongside, a railway line with trains going out to Dawlish or inland to Exeter. Suddenly, a Treecreeper was spotted in an old oak tree right in front of us, and we were treated to the marvellous sight of this little beauty trying (and for the most part failing) to gobble up an enormous green caterpillar as it hopped up the trunk of the tree. Four Snipe flew past, a Meadow Pipit was also seen, plus 8 Pied Wagtails rooting around for insects where normally golfers ply their trade, as well as 25 or so Canada Geese. 30 more Curlew flew past and a Starling landed on a telegraph pole. They really do have lovely colours. Then some people strode onto the course with nets to retrieve lost golf balls and it instantly became a bird free zone.

We walked over the bridge at Cockwood towards an area locals call ‘The Sod’. On the map is says Cockwood Marshes, but then local names are often more colourful! This is a lovely marshy area stretching out with the Haldon Hills in the background. Rod Lawrence has fought and lost a long battle to try to stop part of it being turned into a village green and playground. He thinks it will be the beginning of the end for our feathered friends, especially the Barn Owls who hunt here at night. We looked carefully and were rewarded with four Snipe digging for earthworms, their yellow stripes gleaming. Two of them were hurtling across the field for cover, like moving humbugs! We saw a Grey Heron, statuesque as usual, and a Little Egret, which moved at surprising speed. A few Teal were spotted, plus Moorhen and Coot. A Cormorant flew past directly overhead, as 30 Canada Geese flew in. Mute Swans were dotted about, along with many Gulls. Then, four more Snipe, all in a row, quite exposed, showing really well.

Back to the Golf course now thankfully sans humans, and we were greeted with 100 or so Black-headed Gulls and Herring Gulls, and 50 Brent Geese. In addition: 30 Lapwing, a Robin, a Dunnock, three Teal and a Wren. We also saw several Curlew and Oystercatchers.

In a truly heroic move, I spurned the nearby pub, and instead went back to the car and made do with the exquisite packed lunch my wife had made. It consisted of: stir fried organic chicken breast in sesame oil with a dash of Soy sauce and sesame seeds with finely sliced spring onions, red and yellow papers tossed in rice vinegar. Desert was a very ripe Comice pear. Evian water during, tea afterwards.

Just before we set off for our afternoon destination, Powderham Church, I went alone to look again at the golf course, as 200 Brent Geese had just flown in. They were joined by 70 Herring Gulls, 70 Oystercatchers and 50 Lapwing. Driving along the estuary road, we saw 50 Curlew in a nearby field, along with 20 Oystercatchers and a horse. We stopped on the edge of the grounds of Powderham Castle, and saw a fantastic sight: 1 Spoonbill, four Little Egret, 6 Grey Heron, 20 Wigeon, 20 Shelduck, 30 Black-tailed Godwit, and 40 Greenshank. In the distance, a herd of deer, one of the attractions of a trip to Powderham castle, which acted as a backdrop to the vista in front of us.

13.30 We all met up again under the trees by Powderham Church, and set off along the estuary path towards The Turf. A flock of Dunlin flew in and we saw a Lesser Black-backed Gull and a solitary Avocet. On our left, the railway line. On our right, the receding waters of Exe estuary. Two Pied Wagtails hopped along the sea wall. First one Stonechat, then another, were spotted in a nearby field, and a really lovely Little Egret flew in a loop around us. Three Shelduck and one Curlew made for contrasting colours. A Meadow Pipit alighted on the wall near us, as we made our way towards The Turf vantage point. Looking across the water towards Topsham, we saw a remarkable sight as all the waders flew in. Huge numbers of Lapwing, Black-tailed Godwit (some already beginning to turn a rusty colour on their breasts), Curlew, Avocet and Dunlin. Rod estimated we were then looking out at:

1,200+ Lapwing
500 Avocet
300 Black-tailed Godwit
100 Redshank
100 Dunlin
50 Curlew
20 Knot

As an added bonus, a Weasel was seen just a few feet away, darting in an out of the black rocks on the foreshore. An attractive animal, lovely brown on top and white underneath. As it made its way towards the water, however, many birds flew off. I left slightly before the rest of the party, and walked back along the estuary path, immediately seeing 200 Wigeon on the Exminster Marshes. In the estuary a further 150 Lapwing, 150 Black-tailed Godwit, 100 Oystercatchers, 50 Redshank, 20 Dunlin and around 2,000+ Gulls. I also saw the Avocet with a gammy leg we’d heard about earlier. It was near the sea wall, limping badly. Even the sweeping movement with its bill was lopsided as it seemed to grimace in pain each time it moved. It then flew off. At the end of the walk, with the last of the afternoon sun lighting up the folly on the hill of Powderham Estate, I heard a lone Curlew calling as I left one of my favourite spots for birding. It stayed in my head for quite a while.

A great trip report Peter, I wouldn't mind getting to see some Avocet myself. I did manage the Black Tailed Godwit though today at South Gare on Teesmouth.

Thanks very much for that Ian. I hope that one day we'll be able to organise a trip up to the NE, so start planning!

Thoroughly enjoyed the read Peter. I almost felt like I was eating your lunch too as it sounded much more exotic than our cheese sandwiches and crisps that Ros & I had today.

Ah, but did you and Ros have FLAVOURED crisps?!!

Peter

ps thanks for your kind words, and IanF - much appreciated.

500 avocet sounds fantastic Peter, although I did have a sweet potato and three bean wrap whilst walking round Chichester Gravel Pits this morning. About 100 Gadwall, 40 Great Crested Grebe and 8 Goldcrest on a beautiful and quiet morning.

Rob.

There you have it in a nutshell Rob - 40 Great Crested Grebe and a three bean wrap can be as exhilarating as anything!

It's all right for you lot some of us poor **** have been at work all day,all I've seen are some wayward homing pigeons,I'm sure they've got string from their legs up to their heads to make them bob back and forth like that when they walk,bet it gives them a headache.

Geoff

I had a chicken diner for my lunch though no sandwiches for me.:t:

Last edited:
You are joking John, aren't you? I thought you were a full blooded Man of the Midlands. Surely, only MegaBeef would do?!!!!

Steak and ale pie for me, boyos!

Great report, Peter! 'Though what do expect to see on a golf course? I get some great ticks during a round of golf at my "local" in Cannock, so don't knock it!

Peter,

What the blazes, are you too posh for good old fish and chips? Thorouoghly enjoyed the read and it is all familar except for most parts of Cockwood as I have never been over the bridge. I can sympathise about the bend, the problem is often excarbated by walkers on the side of the walled road! I like the golf course and often annoy a few drivers by crawling past it! I also saw some Treecreepers this weekend in Himley Park in the Midlands, three of them. One was three foot away, lovely birds with the way they use their tails against the trunks for leverage. I do not know of Haldon Hills at all can you give me a grid reference if possible. I do not have Knot myself, well not properly, I 'had' one that should have been out of season at Dawlish or summat like that. I'm surprised there were no Golden Plover at Turf cos I got some there and the local Tony posted that he saw some there too. I really enjoyed that read and equally love powderham church walk. The bramble lined path to the railway crossing can be excellent. Once I was only six inches away from a Blackbird there! I could have picked it up and taken it home!

Al

I'm certainly not knocking the golf course; it was a brilliant location for us. I'll be hoping to see your golf course soon, by the way! Glad you enjoyed the report, and I hope one day you'll be able to come down here.

Andrew

Thanks very much for that - glad you enjoyed reading about your old stomping ground! We looked long and hard for Golden Plover, believe me, but to no avail.

As for the Haldon Hills, there is a Bird of Prey vantage point up there - well worth going to. They lie south of Exeter and can be reached simply by carrying on from the M5 along the A38 towards Plymouth for a few miles. But at this time of night and after some excellent Bordeaux, please don't ask me for grid references. You'd probably end up in the Bristol Channel!

Peter

Oh that Haldon Forest Bird of Prey viewpoint, I went there last autumn and got zip! Well a few bullfinches and other passerines but no BOP at all! I was trying to picture a hill at Cockwood! It'd have to be a pretty small one there!

Andrew

Autumn is not the time to go to Haldon raptor viewpoint. Try from May onwards. Even better try June / July / August time. I always get Hobby there plus Buzzaed, Sparrowhak, Kestrel, Peregrine even Raven. On top of that I have had Crossbill, Stock Dove, Turtle Dove, Yellowhammer, Bullfinch, Linnet etc, plus if you go by the Bullers Hill entrance, in the same time period, and view the fields on the opposite side (that is on your right as you drive from the A38) you will almost certainly connect with Nightjar. You need to be there about 45 minutes before dark and you should hear them before you see them.

At the raptor viewpoint you are also in with a chance of Goshawk and I have heard of Montie's & Hen Harrier being there as well as Honey Buzzard (allthough I don't think one has been seen here for a couple of years. I think there was one in the Starcross area last year

Thanks John, the info should be useful. Won't hear the Nightjars cos I'm deaf as a post since birth! It'll be great to see one. I tried on an RSPB night trip last year on Aylesbeare Common with no luck!

Andrew

I have been to Aylesmere twice and haven't so much as heard one never mind see one.

You can never guarantee seeing any bird but Bullers Hill is as good a site as any. I am sorry about your ear defect. Unfortunately this will hinder you finding them there because usually you hear them before you see them. The call usually gets you to look in the right area but I have had them just over the road there so you could be lucky. If ever you were thinking of going to Norfolk in June / July / August let me know as I have a site that will guarantee these birds without having to hear them first.

Peter

Wrong time to visit either sites at the moment. Once spring has arrived the whole outlook of Haldon Hill will cjange. Then yoo can start wandering around the various woods that surround the raptor viewpoint.

If you fancy a manic day out. or perhaps two, then any weekend after April 4th will do. We will start at Weeting heath after Stone Curlew and Woodlark, then Wayland wood, after the golden pheasant and then see what is around. Ring Ouzel should be into Norfolk by then plus many other birds. I would start to go up to the North Norfolk coast from there, but I warn you, I cover a lot of ground usually when I am up there at that time.

Haldon Hill I will visit possibly from June onwards. When I do I will let you know.

Well Andrew you can't win 'em all- I've heard Nightjars but as I've no night vision at all (thats why I keep falling over on the way home from the pub at night, honest) I'll probably never see one!! If I'm on my own I rely on my hearing, if I'm with my wife, even in broad daylight its a case of "you MUST see it, its just over there!!". Perhaps we should start an "auraly\visualy challenged" group! You supply the eyes and I'll supply the ears!! P.S. Peter I've just realised that your "Pied Wagtails" are our Bergonnete d'Yarrel". The birds I saw Saturday were White Wagtails, Bergonnette Grise. I must check out the difference next time I'm home December).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back