• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TeleVue 60. (1 Viewer)

Steve Napier

Im not sure if this new 60mm Apochromatic telescope will interest anyone on here but its recieving rave reviews in the Astronomy world.
More details can be found on www.televue.com It weighs in at 3lb and when the diagonal is removed its only 10" long.
It has a maximum 3.4 degree field of view and is still sharp at 120x.
Ive been a Televue owner for 16 years {Oracle 3} so I can vouch for the quality.
Steve.

Hi Steve: I thought I was the only Televue person in this whole forum. Because my original interest was astronomy I've used their eyepieces for years and one my scopes is the NP 101. It's a little awkward but faster than most others so I'm sticking with it.

Hi there.
The NP 101 is one OUTSTANDING telescope probably,the most versatile refractor out there.
I have the old "Oracle 3" a 3" f/7.4 refractor,I here the new TV 76 is better optically.
I recently bought a Binoviewer and it works a treat with the oracle.
Best wishes,
Steve.

We should start a Televue owners group here to see how many people are using them. I love my TV 85 and use an older 9mm Nagler plus 5 and 14 mm Radians. I like eye relief and wide, linear fields (and can't afford new Naglers). I tend to spend my money on dedicated setups, so use an SLR instead of digiscoping, and now carry a Nikon Fieldscope III when I move far away from the car.

As an owner of a TeleVue Ranger and TV85 both which were used for birding; the Ranger much more often than the TV85 I support starting a TeleVue owners group. Or perhaps a refractor group.

I used the Ranger and my Nikon Fieldscope IIIED when birding with my wife. Now a Swarovski scope has taken the place of the Ranger.

I recall the wow view expressed by birders when they looked thru the Ranger with a Nikon WA eyepiece that gave about 45X.

Used Rangers in excellent condition sell for about $400 - $450 without an eyepiece. Although they are not an apochromatic/ED/Flourite scope they still have no problem providing excellent terrestrial bird image sat 60X and above if the light is good.

Televue

I'm not sure I understand the point of a "Televue users poll" except from Al Naglers point of view. My initial query was to try and establish if anyone else was digiscoping with this brand. I still haven't figured out why everyone seems to prefer using a spotting scope when the standard terrestial scopes by other Mfg. offer so much more choice in size and quality of eyepieces and aperture. also, as far as Mr.Nagler is concerned, my thinking was that he should consider co-sponsoring this forum to allow more awareness of what I believe to be superior optics. And finally, I did communicate this opinion to him personally and he plans to explore that option.

I see that there are special sections for Swarovski and so on, so why not Televue? If we can exchange information (which is what this website is all about) on Televue use, problems, etc., it benefits all users. It may be that there aren't enough people using the products to make it viable, and we would soon find out.

Televue

Art Thorn said:
I see that there are special sections for Swarovski and so on, so why not Televue? If we can exchange information (which is what this website is all about) on Televue use, problems, etc., it benefits all users. It may be that there aren't enough people using the products to make it viable, and we would soon find out.
o.k. Now I Get it, but I have no idea how to go about accomplishing that. (slower than a shutter full of sand) If you can do it, go for it.

photonut said:
I still haven't figured out why everyone seems to prefer using a spotting scope when the standard terrestial scopes by other Mfg. offer so much more choice in size and quality of eyepieces and aperture.

There's been discussion of this before. Essentially it is one of ergonomics and practicality. A birding scope can be carried miles in a case, and is shock resistant and waterproof to withstand a downpour. Also astro. optics though of high quality are expensive and made for high magnifications. Birders tend to stick to low powers.

Hey, it rains on astronomers too, but I get your point. Everything in life involves a trade off. I personally like the option of a bird at a hundred meters. And lets face it, I love my Televue.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back