• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

turkey vulture numbers, Michigan (1 Viewer)

rosemary Parker

I am a newspaper reporter seeking information about turkey vultures. They seem to be very abundant in southwest Michigan at the moment, and a local authority suggested that I check the internet to see if anyone has posted any counts. He said it is normal for them to be migrating through the area this time of year. I am wondering why I am seeing so many of them-- several on roadkill over the past few weeks whereas in the past I've been lucky to see one or two birds a year.
Any thoughts, numbers, or direction to sites?
Rosemary

Hi Rosemary,

Welcome to Birdforum from all the Staff here!

I think you've come to the right place to get the answers you need. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

Cheers,

Andy.

On 31 October 1998 I travelled over the Chesapeake Bridge and down to Salisbury, Maryland and then back again the next day. Didn't stop to bird; just travelling. Even then there were plenty of Turkey Vultures in the sky - counted about 100.

I'm in SE--not SW--Michigan, where TV's are very, very common from early March until mid-November. The last few seem to have left just recently.

Bill

TV in Panama

Hi Rosemery:

Here in Panama, central america, we still having TV´s migrating over Panama city and this seems to be very unusual since other years the migration is over by mid-november.
Panama Audubond Society together with Hawk Mountain sanctuary set up an ocean to ocean raptors count for the very first year here in Panama. As a result we had counted more than 3 millions raptors.
The count was supposed to be finish by november 14 but during november 13,14 and 15 about 250,000 raptors (mostly TV) flew over Panama.
Today, 8 days after the normal ending of the migration we still having thousands of TV flying over Panama city Skyline.
It seem that the population had grown in the las 5 years.

I will keep you updated with the final numbers of our count to see if that information could help you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back