• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Europe (1 Viewer)

Alan G

I wonder is anyone can help?

I'm looking to get away birding for a long weekend in September to somewhere in Europe - very vaugue but I'm not concerned where I go, as long as it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg!!

What I'm after is a Town that has accomodation that has good birding sites nearby that's within striking distance (ie: taxi, bus, or train) from an airport.

So (far example) is there any Towns I can get to from say Madrid or Barcelona by train or bus that is near some decent birding sites?

I'm not a very confident driver abroad, hence why I'd prefer to catch a train from the airports - once at my destination, I'm happy to hire a car and drive around.

Thanks

Alan

I have toured Spain for 2 weeks, no car. It has some scenic areas easily reached. Bus and train. It will be a bit of an adventure, though.

Birds, you get what you find. Not sure of best areas.

Alan G said:

I'm looking to get away birding for a long weekend in September to somewhere in Europe - very vaugue but I'm not concerned where I go, as long as it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg!!

What I'm after is a Town that has accomodation that has good birding sites nearby that's within striking distance (ie: taxi, bus, or train) from an airport.

So (far example) is there any Towns I can get to from say Madrid or Barcelona by train or bus that is near some decent birding sites?

I'm not a very confident driver abroad, hence why I'd prefer to catch a train from the airports - once at my destination, I'm happy to hire a car and drive around.

Thanks

Alan

One suggestion would be to fly Newcastle to Barcelona and visit the eastern Pyrenees. With a car you could visit a coastal area (Aiguamolls de L'Emporda maybe) as well for a bit of variety. I did a similar trip to this in May, although we did go for 8 days rather than a long weekend. No doubt that a shorter visit would be practicable though.

We hired a car from the airport. The exit roads to the main routes out are well marked and it's not too hairy. I'm not a confident driver myself, but had no real problems.

Barcelona is a good starting point for the local estuaries; 80 miles to the north (including 12km of cog railway) and you are in Vall de Nuria www.valldenuria.com high in the Pyrreneese. Public transport is clean and cheap.

Budapest is another option.

Andy.

Hi Alan
Suggest cheap flight to Alicante, 15 minutes from Santa Pola where there's some great saltpans and marsh, great time for waders. Then just inland 10 minutes drive is the supreme reserve of El Hondo, which can turn anything up. Also the hills above Alicante hold Trumpeter Finch, Bonelli's Eagle, Rock Bunting, etc etc etc. Anywhere in Spain will be good at that time of year.

Alps?

You might like to consider the Alps if you have never been there, there are cheap (EasyJet) flights to Geneva from a fair number of UK airports.

You would be able to see some interesting Alpine species in this area. I regularly take out visitors who contact me via "BirdingPals".

http://birdingpal.org/

Contact me for more information...

Mike

Lithuania - relatively undiscovered spot, not long flight from London - White-tailed Eagles, Black Storks, Ospreys, breeding Whooper Swans, bushloads of Red-backed Shrikes, etc ...all less than 30 minutes from the airport

Alan G said:
Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan.

Have you considered Faro in Portugal. Very cheap flights to Faro airport out of season and plenty of accommodation.
The town of Faro is right beside the tidal river and the vast salt marshes of the Ria Formosa. You could walk to this site from the town and the birdwatching areas extend along the coast right up to Tavira.
Car hire is very reasonable, the traffic is light and the roads are good.
You could travel inland to the Camino Verde - Mertola area, which is good for Great and Little Bustards, sandgrouse, etc.

Regards from Donana.

John.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've decided on the Algarve - staying near Albufeira.

Any tips on that area gratefully received.

Oh, and I'm planning on visiting last week May/first week in June - is this a good time to go?

Thanks

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back