• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What turtle? (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Hiya all,

What is this turtle? It was rescued (bought) from a local restaurant, heading for the pot. It is about 50 cm long, with an extremely long neck. Definitely not vegetarian, it is causing havoc in our fishpond!

Attachments

• Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 171
It's some kind of Soft shelled turtle. Not sure which and could be from Americas or Asia (more likely the latter, obviously). There are many species native to Vietnam. They'll eat anything they can swallow providing it's of animal origin (fingers included so be careful, those heads can move unbelievably fast). Typical diet would be fish. Will also eat night crawlers, large invertebrates, amphibians, fresh water crabs, small reptiles, small mammals, waterfowl chicks... In captivity lumps of chicken and other meats are taken with relish.

Really good of you to rescue it though I fear your fish will not thank you ;-)

Lee.

I think it is an asian species-(well that´s likely- but some months , perhaps even more than a year ago, there was a documentary about south east asian amphibia and reptiles and some scientists which are researching on these groups in that area (I whish i would remember the scientists names) and another short documentary on a big illegal shipment (to Europe !!!! south east asian turtles for the pot!!!!)-the shipment was stopped by customs and the animals were distributed on several german or european Zoos -if I remember correctly , there were some turtles looking exactly like that one, Hanno.

If I get across this again, I ll give you more information

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back