• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off to the Algarve!! (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I'm off to Portugal in two weeks (22nd April) for 18 days. Staying at Praia Da Rocha Portimao. I will be hiring a car but don't want to be travelling too far each day. I want to stay within an hours drive of that area. Anyone any more ideas of where I should spend most of my time!! I would like to see Avocet and Flamingo but not sure if they are around this area at this time of year. What can I expect to see. I know nothing is guaranteed! Can't wait.

I'm off to Portugal in two weeks (22nd April) for 18 days. Staying at Praia Da Rocha Portimao. I will be hiring a car but don't want to be travelling too far each day. I want to stay within an hours drive of that area. Anyone any more ideas of where I should spend most of my time!! I would like to see Avocet and Flamingo but not sure if they are around this area at this time of year. What can I expect to see. I know nothing is guaranteed! Can't wait.

Hi John,
Didn't you get the PM's I sent? Not sure as you didn't reply.

Hi John,
Excellent base where you are; Tavira in the east is guaranteed flamingo, avocet, black winged stilt, kentish plover, curlew sandpiper, woodchat shrike etc etc. Around where you are, Portimao harbour is OK (Caspian gull maybe through at the time you're there) and Sagres/Cabo de Sao Vicente a must (45mins in the car via Vila da Bispo) However, get your hands on the book published this year by Bird Watchers Guides, Prion Ltd called Birdwatchers Guide to Portugal, The Azores and Madeira by Moore, Elias and Costa. Bible for the area and brand new. About £17 from Amazon and over 200 pages of detailed knowledge, maps, directions, birds etc. Also, put in Algarve on my blog search and there will be some details there, too.
Edit: have just checked my blog search and not too accurate. Try Tavira, or Lagos or Biaxo Alentejo or Sagres.
Have a great time.
Cheers,
Jono

Last edited:
Thanks for that Jono. More to print off! Sounds like I am in a decent area. John-henry also suggests Tavira as a must. Sagres looks wonderful on youtube!!

Salgados and Quinta do Lagos should be within reach too.
Sagres is excellent for the Rib trips for Dolphins and seabirds, you need to book in advance though.
The road to Villa de Bispo from Cape St Vincent can be productive for Shrikes and Farm land birds.

I visited portugal in the mid late 1980,s in december I stayed in lagos there were a number of warblers around then in lagos itself and further away from lagos blue rock thrush along
the cliff,s and black redstart with stonechat near portimao Along with (milkweed) The Monarch butterflie and White Emperor ? Butterflies feeding on bourganvillea flowers on Veranda,s These may have moved on into spring but hopeing you see lots.. :)

Hi John,
Excellent base where you are; Tavira in the east is guaranteed flamingo, avocet, black winged stilt, kentish plover, curlew sandpiper, woodchat shrike etc etc. Around where you are, Portimao harbour is OK (Caspian gull maybe through at the time you're there) and Sagres/Cabo de Sao Vicente a must (45mins in the car via Vila da Bispo) However, get your hands on the book published this year by Bird Watchers Guides, Prion Ltd called Birdwatchers Guide to Portugal, The Azores and Madeira by Moore, Elias and Costa. Bible for the area and brand new. About £17 from Amazon and over 200 pages of detailed knowledge, maps, directions, birds etc. Also, put in Algarve on my blog search and there will be some details there, too.
Edit: have just checked my blog search and not too accurate. Try Tavira, or Lagos or Biaxo Alentejo or Sagres.
Have a great time.
Cheers,
Jono

Thanks Jono. Just placed an order on the book ... hope it gets to me in time!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back