• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Martins (1 Viewer)

wroughtiron

Patriotic User
Hello Birdforumers, I am curious how many of us here are Purple Martin landlords or enthusiast. Please share with us about your Purple Martins.

J.S. Dillon

Attachments

• gourds311x235.jpg
    gourds311x235.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 162
  • PMnestlings314x235.JPG
    PMnestlings314x235.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 163
  • PurpleMartinMarch2a392x296.jpg
    PurpleMartinMarch2a392x296.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 166
I live in a wooded area in Pennsylvania so I don't have anywhere to put up a nest box. The Mennonite farmer across the road allowed my to put up a Purple Martin house in his yard. I gave him an old ghetto blaster with a Purple Martin call CD in it to attract them. He get's up at 4am every morning to milk the cows and puts it on from April onwards. The 1st 2 years we had Martins looking it over and last year we had an unsuccessfull nesting attempt. We are hoping this will be the year! There is a very successfull colony only about a mile away at another farm, I'm hoping to attract some of their overspill.

Any good tips?

Purple Martin tips

Mike Dale,

Sounds like your doing the right thing already. If you have had scouts check out your setup, it is probably a matter of time before you get a resident.

J.S. Dillon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back