• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any birds nesting in your garden yet? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
This morning I saw a Great Tit going in & out the nestbox must be building the nest so fingers crossed

No signs yet but I just bought two birdhouses this morning to put up, hopefully early next week. Trying to get chickadees, swallows and/or bluebirds..... preferably all three since there will be three houses! ;)

Good luck, Euan.... hope you have a feathered family beginning.

Blue Tits (in box) & Great Tits (in old drain pipe)

seen Gold & Greenfinch with nesting material in last few days.

Two pairs of Jackdaws nesting in both our chimney pots.They wake me up in the morning with their scrabbling around in the chimney,and they drop bits of straw from their bedding all over the yard.In my friends garden which houses 8 nesting boxes,one has been taken over by the Sparrows,who do seem to be in situ,and the Bluetits still seem to be checking their des res,also the Great Tits,are sussing out the best house.Lots of competition.

We have blue tits in the nest box, house sparrows collecting nesting material and carrion crows in the garden for pretty much the first time making their own nesting material (I assume that's what they were doing anyway) by tearing a tree apart.
Michael

Couple of Blue Tits sniffing around the back box and a box i had bought which originally had the right size hole for a blue tit has now been evaded by House Sparrows. Nice to see tho.

Got 5 nestboxes up and acivity around 3 of them from blue tits,they've been taking material in now for a few weeks.Funny though as some days they rarely spend any time in the boxes.
i've also seen great tits collecting nest material from my hanging baskets,not sure where they're taking it though.Wrens,dunnocks and blackbirds been spotted collecting moss as well.
Unfortunately i hear there may be freezing temperatures at the weekend again,can't help but wonder what's going on with the climate.

Magpies attempting to build a nest in a large Sycamore at the bottom of the garden, managed to build the foundation, then the Crows took it apart.
The same happened last year but the Magpies persisted and finally raised 2 young.

Bad news for the smaller breeding birds though! The Magpies took a clutch of Blackbirds from their nest in a Clematis at the back of the house, before doing the same to a family of Wrens

I suppose you have to accept this is natural behaviour but its hard to stomach when it happens under your nose

Maurice Berry said:
Magpies attempting to build a nest in a large Sycamore at the bottom of the garden, managed to build the foundation, then the Crows took it apart.
The same happened last year but the Magpies persisted and finally raised 2 young.

Bad news for the smaller breeding birds though! The Magpies took a clutch of Blackbirds from their nest in a Clematis at the back of the house, before doing the same to a family of Wrens

I suppose you have to accept this is natural behaviour but its hard to stomach when it happens under your nose
you can have to many magpies and then you have very few song birds we had that problem a few years ago so we now control there numbers by trapping. blackbirds and song thrushes are now much more common here.

Great news Brett! I don't have a camera in any of my nestboxes. How can you tell when eggs are starting to be laid?

I havn't the Tits but I looked through my telespe and saw this long twig cumming from the nextbox I didn't know if it got blown in there or the Tits got it who knows??

NestBoxes

Euan Buchan said:
This morning I saw a Great Tit going in & out the nestbox must be building the nest so fingers crossed
Two out of three nestboxes occupied by Blue Tits with 25mm holes third box not occupied as yet, hole 28mm, Robin box and sparrow terrace not occupied either, location South Coast UK Update 8/4/05 blue tits building their nest in one end of the sparrow terrace 32mm hole, they don't know the rules !!!
Cheers
Nev

Last edited:
1) One 32mm Sparrow terrace with three entrances

2) Two 27mm hole nestboxes

3) One 32mm hole nestbox.

4) One treecreeper style nestbox.

5) One wren(hopeful) nestbox.

6) One open fronted nestbox.

Robin is using the open fronted box tucked away in some ivy (eggs hatched today)

Great tit is using one side of the Sparrow terrace. 5 Eggas laid to date!

Fantastic watching the development and interaction between the birds.

This morning I saw a Great Tit fly out the box & I looked through my telescope I saw it come back hoklding a huge ball of moss so they are defantlybuilding a nest

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back