• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon D SLR (1 Viewer)

Hmmm ... Wish someone would compare the following cameras:

Nikon D50
Canon Rebel XT (350)
Pentax *ist DS
Nikon D70s
Nikon D70

rka said:
Hmmm ... Wish someone would compare the following cameras:

Nikon D50
Canon Rebel XT (350)
Pentax *ist DS
Nikon D70s
Nikon D70

This week the UK Amateur Photographer magazine has a review of the Canon 350D, and as usual it is very thorough. According to the writer, the Canon has very low noise (a fair bit less than Nikon D70 above ISO 400) but the image is slightly soft, possibly due to an aggressive noise reduction algorithm. The kit zoom lens is execrable, at least going by the sample images. They also have reviews of the Pentax and Nikon D70 and I think copies of the reviews can be purchased at modest cost.

Leif

Interesting that the new D50 is SD card only, in some ways I would liked to have seen that as an option on my D2x. I think a lot of people are disappointed that there's no news on a D200... so there's a mighty big gap between the budget cameras and the next step (especially if you don't like the low pixel count of the D2Hs).

Youngbirder18 said:
Nikon have today announced two new DSLR Cameras.
http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/releases.aspx?rt=1001

The D50 looks like very good entry level Camera with a 6.1MP CCD ect, but I can’t see what Nikon are hoping to achieve with the D70s. It’s still only 6.1MP, with very few new updated features from the D70. Nikon really need a 8MP, 5 fps camera to be even in the same league as Canon.

I believe they made some very minor improvements in the D70s, but I understand the main advantage is that the D70s shares some components with the D50, so it is less expensive to manufacture.

Nikon really needs an 8Mp camera mostly for marketing purposes since Canon and Olympus have released 8Mp DSLRs. But the real difference in resolution between a camera wiith an 8Mp sensor and one with a 6 Mp sensor is pretty small. Perhaps 15% linearly. This is difficult to see in a print. Inching products along with fairly minor resolution improvements like this is certainly as much a marketing ploy as it is a way to put better cameras in the hands of customers.

More resolution is better, but an 8Mp camera is hardly in a different league. Its a nice improvement and certainly adds value. But I think you need to get to 10Mp or perhaps 12Mp (using CFA APS sensors) to make the claim of a different league. I think the 8Mp sensors give the two Canons a legitimate claim to the best resolution in their classes though. Though the Canon 350 edges out the 8Mp Olympus E300 by a pretty narrow margin.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back