• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the train ... (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Not being a car owner I take the train to work daily, which runs along Breydon water and on thro the Lingwood, Brundall + Thorpe stretch of the river into Norwich. Just thought I'd share with you some of the inspiration that brought me into birdwatching. I know the list is not particularly big but most have actually been seen before reaching the 1st stop at Acle, without the use of bins.

Starling, Hse Sparrow + Blackbird - usually quite numerous at the train station

Lapwing
Cormorant
Mallard
Teal
Goldeneye
Wigeon
Coot
Curlew
Oystercatcher
Common / Blk head / Gt + Lesser Blackbacked / Herring - Gull
Redshank
Shelduck
Avocet
Greylag /Canada Goose
Kestrel
Barn Owl
Tufted Duck
GC Grebe
Mute Swan
Grey Heron
Pheasant
Grey Partridge
Woodpigeon

The list would no doubt inclue Dunlin, Ringed Plover and other small species if it weren't from a moving train. Widening it slightly, and the scenery/wildlife usually has something to offer, the odd fox, frosty landscape, sunrise, or simply the old windmills against the expanse of marshes. A pretty good start to the day I think.

Marsh Harrier

Swallow
Whimbrel
Common Tern

Last edited:
You are lucky to have to use the train in Norfolk. There can't be many better places to commute on a train.

Nice List Carlos,

I too have a journey to work list, but as I drive, I suppose I have to pay a bit less attention to the the birds than you!

But, it certainly makes the travelling more enjoyable, dont you agree?

Keep us informed as you add to your list.

Cheers

Nice one Carlos. How long is your journey, and how do you find using bins from a moving train? I find it incredibly difficult.

Journey's about 20 miles and takes 1/2 hour or so. Never tried using bins on the train, but I'd have said the term 'incredibly difficult' would be about right. Maybe I'll try it one day ....

Best bird on my train list - Osprey!

Seen sitting on a post at a small farm reservoir from the Colchester - London train about 10 years ago.

Alf

Hi all,
I remember in my "no twitching unless it's VERY local" days a birder had a (male?) Red-footed Falcon from the train just outside of Cork city.I looked for it the following day but it had moved on:still need the species for Ireland(saw lots abroad)
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back