• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The most agressive bird! (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

So who is at the Top of the bird Food chain?
who is the Daddy amonst daddies?
I have heard of an Eagle owl attack a big Eagle but only when resting or asleep.
The golden Eagle has quite a verocious character. The Fish Eagle too.
And what about the Falcon , a Goshawk maybe might even take on an eagle.

Who in your view is the King of Kings, or should i say the Queen of Queens! :h?:

As far as garden bird tables go - i`d say Greenfinch are the daddies, however - i have seen the occassional daddy Siskin stamp down his authority.
Not to clued up about birds of prey, but the Eagle owl has got to be up there- especially if you take into account its presence.

If you are talking about aggression rather than feeding, the birds of prey are nowhere compared with something like a Collared Dove or a Robin.

i can vouch for the eagle owls (after watching them hunting on thursday) huge presence and even the crows dont try and mob them! - they just get out the way.....fast.

as for little birds, the robin is a known killer amongst it's own kind......the terrotorial battles can be bloodbaths at times.......

Last edited:
The Ural Owl is very aggressive.
There are a number of birders out there with one eye, who accidentally got too close to the Ural's nest and it took them on and goes for the eyes!!

It looks very benign but watch it its a terror!!

(I wouldn't think much would take on an Eagle Owl mind!! Maybe the Ural would but it probably would lose!!)

Last edited:
I agree with me1000 , the Harpy is a beast , also Marshal . On the home front I think Coot can be very agressive , especially to another coot where fights to the death or birds with broken wings or legs aren't uncommon .

Ashley

And what about the Mistle Thrush in the winter when " defending " a bird table from all comers , they spend so much time fighting the others I'm surprised they don't starve .

Ashley

me1000 said:
Harpy Eagle....... surely
me

I've visited Harpy nests and they're no more aggresive than other large Eagles. Indeed, I'd even say they're a hint less aggressive than the two species of Hawk-Eagles (Black and Ornate) where I've been near a nest. None of them are likely to actually attack unless you're quite close to the nest. So, the Harpy is not particularly aggressive, but, in its region, it certainly "wins" on a combination of strength and size (anyone who's seen those tallons in real will agree!). If it would "win" over the other large Eagles around the World is an open question; in my opinion they're all "kings" in their respective region. Just to mention of few of the most massive: Harpy (tropical South & Central America), Steller's Sea-Eagle (NE Asia), Philippine Eagle (the Philippines), Martial Eagle (large part of Africa), etc.

As for pure aggression I'd vote for hummingbirds, probably the Sparkling Violet-ear. Sure, it's tiny, but they'll have a go at anything they think can be a threat to their territory. I've seen them chasing Great Thrushes and once mobbing a pair of Great Horned (Magellanic) Owls at their day-time roost. The Sparkling Violet-ear even has a voice that match its behavior! Likewise, I'll probably have to mention the Ural Owl as well. I've had a rather unpleasant experiance where I mistakely walked too near a nest I didn't know was there (but they certainly informed me!). I've been attacked by other birds, but nothing that came anywhere near the ferocious attack by the Ural's.

Last edited:
The Drongos must feature somewhere,too.I often get bombed by Bronzed Drongos while birding.I've seen them giving Jungle Crows and Crested Serpent Eagles a hard time as well.Fork-Tailed Drongo also has a bit of a reputation for giving owls and eagles a hard time.

Mark

Sticking with - only in my garden.It has got to be the Robin.It even tried it on with a cat. :cat: Fortunately, for the cat, I decided to chase them both off. B :)

MikeMules said:
Against other birds, Noisy Miner
Against people, Australian Magpie (in breeding season)

Yes i have been attacked by the Magpie in Australia , they are nutters. I have seen a Guy with his Eye gouged out in the newspapers. People wearing helmets and waving canes around their heads as they cycle down the road.

The kookabura is a bit of a nutter too. Infact most of the Birds are nutters in aussie land and i am not just talking about feathers. ;)

Have seen a Hobby shoot up from a pine forest (Haldon) and attack a Common Buzzard that was minding it's own business soaring away. The Buzzard was quite ruffled by it all.

I have heard about the Australian Magpie - brother played golf out there and one came down after his ball - course he got a shock when he tried to chase it off lol came straight at him!

In my the garden I would say Robins!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back