• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A French Letter (1 Viewer)

Paul 42

I’ve not sent in a report for a while as it takes up all my time just to read all the new messages. Yesterday I had a particularly enjoyable morning out and thought I’d let you know what’s about in Central France at the moment. We’re not really far enough south to have many real exotics, it’s more or less birds you would find in Britain, but in greater numbers and easier to find. Semi-urban Park, mixed woodlands, allotments, scrub, grassland, bordered on three sides by houses, other side golf course. Occasional dog-walkers, joggers, kids drinking beer and smoking joints, never seen anyone else birdwatching. Time 0800-1000. Weather beautiful sunny spring morning, reminds me why I live in France and not Manchester! Greeted by a deafening chorus of birdsong (clocks advanced one hour by UK time) Black Redstart
Great Tit
Serin
Blackcap
Blue Tit
Carrion Crow
Robin
Blackbird
Green Woodpecker
Chiffchaff
Magpie
Goldfinch
Long-tailed Tit
Marsh Tit
Wren
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Starling
Nuthatch
Goldcrest
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Treecreeper
Chaffinch
Jay No raptors this morning, I often see Kestrels and Buzzards, and have seen Red and Black Kites overhead, Sparrowhawk present but rarely seen. So as you can see nothing really different from the UK, except maybe Serin. Highlights of the day: first Serins of the year seen and heard, now I know we are in spring, and watching two pairs of Long-tailed Tits building nests in tree forks. Not forgetting of course the constant birdsong. Sorry it’s so long but I thought I’d make an effort to give you all some idea of what common birds we have in my region.

Thanks for sharing your day. It cheered me up a little for the day. What a sad time in our Nation right now and I am thankful for the BirdForum to spread a winged up-lift which is greatly appreciated today:gh:

Paul,

I was lucky enough to spend a short time working in France a couple of years back. I was a bit north of you at Chalon-sur-Saone. I have a very vivid memory of seeing 9 Black Kites in the air together just outside town and your posting brought back some great memories of the area and the birds. (Wine at 70p a litre as well - but that's another story). Keep us posted as the year goes on.

Regards

Ken.

Paul,
With the list of species and the reference to the dog walkers, kids drinking beer and smoking drugs and (at the moment) the sunshine you could be in any city or town in the UK. Serin and Black Kite we would stuggle for here in the UK but nevertheless it sounds a wonderful place where you live.

BTW, the title of your post 'A French Letter' and your undersignature of 'Make love not war'. Is there some kind of subtle connection there??

Colin

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that Paul. Nice to see the odd insight into life in Saint-Etienne as well!

Like Colin, I too thought of the connection, "make love, not war", hehehe
It's been known to happen while out "Birding"!
Your description fits very well over here in NJ,USA, except for "birds".

A good report. Sometimes it appears as if the birds are appearing in a vacuum. I always looked forward to getting to France. Well actually just getting to dry land was preatty neat. :)

I bet you get into some exotics towards the southern coast though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back