• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Minox 8x42 BL's? (2 Viewers)

SimonK

Hiya all,
Birdwatching magazine gave this a pretty good writeup, and I was after some more.. erm.. "knowledgeable" information as to whether these are a good beginners binocular? :)

Also, anyone know of somewhere in the Midlands that I can get my paws on one to try out?

-Si

solentbirder said:
http://www.Sherwoods-photo.com stock Minox and they're at Chipping Campden.

I've heard good things about these new models but haven't tried one. Be interested in your comments. They're also coming out with an 8x44 and 10x44 porro-prism soon.

Thanks all, I'll let you know what I think when I manage to try a pair out. :)

-Si

Hi all

See page 77 of the December Birdwatching mag for a great review of the 8x44BP and p68 for another good review of the 8.5x42 BR aspheric. These are the first good reviews of Minox products this magazine has run and I notice that the reviewers no longer include Graham P Catley, Mike Weedon and Steve Dudley (a Leica fan and technical (?) advisor and we know Leica and Minox have gone their separate ways recently) - is this significant?

B

barry robson said:
Hi all

See page 77 of the December Birdwatching mag for a great review of the 8x44BP and p68 for another good review of the 8.5x42 BR aspheric. These are the first good reviews of Minox products this magazine has run and I notice that the reviewers no longer include Graham P Catley, Mike Weedon and Steve Dudley (a Leica fan and technical (?) advisor and we know Leica and Minox have gone their separate ways recently) - is this significant?

B

The reviews may change, but the Minox (optical) quality remains the same. Last but not least because of their 3-lens eyepiece design and other (optical) flaws caused by objectives and housing.

Minox: changing the design would make products much more expensive.

Birdwatching mag: changing the reviewers or the reviewers' minds doesn't make anything better - but perhaps things are more convenient to some people now and that is easier to achieve with new personnel.

BTW there have never been involved technicians from Leica with any matters of Minox. Minox is not a competitor and doesn't even want to be one. The relationship between Minox and Leica are excellent. Minox' philosophy is completely different from that of premium manufactorers and so are their products.

Walter Wehr

Last edited:
barry robson said:
Hi all

B

So what was the conclusions then in a nutshell (I've not got the mag yet)? I'm curious having recently purchased a pair of 8x44BP's (I lurve 'em!). :)

-Si

hi simon

review reads 'low light level performance was impressive - the image was crisp, contrasting and sharp almost to the edges, depth of field good, field of view average. Colour rendition neutral, colour fringing minimal. Bright, punchy, easy-on-the eye image. Design & ease of use 8 Mechanical rating 8.5 optical rating 8.5 value for money 8'

And thanks to Walter for his info re the Leica relationship

B

barry robson said:
hi simon

review reads 'low light level performance was impressive - the image was crisp, contrasting and sharp almost to the edges, depth of field good, field of view average. Colour rendition neutral, colour fringing minimal. Bright, punchy, easy-on-the eye image. Design & ease of use 8 Mechanical rating 8.5 optical rating 8.5 value for money 8'

And thanks to Walter for his info re the Leica relationship

B

Thanks for that. Pretty much what I've found with them. I think they're great. Personally I'd say the DOF is excellent rather than just good, but on the whole, sounds like they are on the ball.
:t:

Oh.. one down point.. the bag... man that bag looks like a ladies handbag. My wife has forbidden me to use it. ;)

-Si

Going back to the thread title, has anyone actually used the 8x42 or 10x42 BL ? These are the light-weight roof-prism binoculars with the polycarbonate body.
Cheers !

Simon
Mine (10x52 BR asp) have never seen the bag since I bought them - they are tough enough (in my opinion) not to need it. Mine get used up to 20 times a day for 'feeder watching' and also get hard use trolling up and down the Cumberland Fells very regularly.

barry robson said:
Simon
Mine (10x52 BR asp) have never seen the bag since I bought them - they are tough enough (in my opinion) not to need it. Mine get used up to 20 times a day for 'feeder watching' and also get hard use trolling up and down the Cumberland Fells very regularly.

I just plonk mine in the bag when in the car. I guess this is because they're new, after a few weeks I'll probably end up keeping the bag to keep oily rags in or something!! ;) Being my first decent bins, they're my "precious" and need protecting from all that nasty dust for the moment!

-Si

My partner has just bought a pair of the new Minox BL 8x42 BR roff prism jobbies - and I'm jealous..

Had a good look at the 10x version as well but she says the 8x just feel better optically as well as being slightly brighter she says there seams to be more depth of field.

Looking through them they do give a nice sharp image, and are lovely and light.
We are off to Old Moor on Sunday to try them out properly. If ididn't have my Bushnells (Natureview 10x42 roof) I'd have a pair myself.

One thing I've noticed is the rain gaurds on the Minox and Bushnells are identical

They come in a nice little pouch but it doesn't have a shoulder strap, the included strap is a neoprene one which is nice compared to mine which I don't use as it's a naff webbing job (that cuts in your neck). We both use RSPB neoprene straps as they are more comfortable.

The eyecups on the Minox have a lovely smooth action and click stop when fully open. The focus wheel is easy to use with a smooth action as well, and takes one and a quarter turns from 2.5m to infinity. Eye relief is 19.5mm. Will have to do a write up when we've used them properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back