• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi identification please (1 Viewer)

Skipton

Trevor Wood
I was out stalking a Collared Dove on a wooded bank on the river Tyne in Corbridge, Northumberland. Moving from tree to tree the damn bird eluded my camera and I couldn't get a pic. However, during my foray through the wood I stumbled upon this fungus. Not being a fungus officianado; but realising many of my friends on Birdforum are I took a shot of it... for your delictation.
OK.... tell me, what is it.

Regards,

Trev

Attachments

• Fungi.jpg
    Fungi.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 122
Skipton said:
I was out stalking a Collared Dove on a wooded bank on the river Tyne in Corbridge, Northumberland. Moving from tree to tree the damn bird eluded my camera and I couldn't get a pic. However, during my foray through the wood I stumbled upon this fungus. Not being a fungus officianado; but realising many of my friends on Birdforum are I took a shot of it... for your delictation.
OK.... tell me, what is it.

Regards,

Trev

If that is an Ash tree, then it might be Inonotus hispidus, though I am far from sure. It does not usually occur in tiers, but I have seen several together. The bark is Ash like. Unfortunately none of my tree guides have pictures of bark, which strikes me as madness, since bark is such a useful feature (think Hornbeam, Beech etc), especially in Winter.

Leif

It is an ash tree.... leaves still on, maybe I should a' put them in the shot.
Probably better to have posted this pic showing the one below not tiered.

Thanks Leif.

Trev

Attachments

• Fungi2.jpg
    Fungi2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 114
Skipton said:
It is an ash tree.... leaves still on, maybe I should a' put them in the shot.
Probably better to have posted this pic showing the one below not tiered.

Thanks Leif.

Trev

Then I am more confidant, but it's not a species that I know well, having seen it only twice, and one of those was young. You need someone more familiar with the species to be sure. He might be along in a day or two!

Leif

Leif said:
Then I am more confidant, but it's not a species that I know well, having seen it only twice, and one of those was young. You need someone more familiar with the species to be sure. He might be along in a day or two!

Leif

I looked at the photograph before reading anyone's comments, and I also thought Inonotus hispidus. But for me too, it's a long time since I have seen it. I am glad to see Leif came to the same conclusion!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back