• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannot Id this Fungi (1 Viewer)

Woundsinger

United Kingdom
I am really and truly stuck on this one...
I cannot seem to find it in my books or on the internet...

I apologise for the poor qaulity of light but the sun was setting and the batteries in the camera decided that they had enough of photographing fungi for the day so the flash became a thing of the past... |:D|

Many thanks for any help recieved...
( also, can anyone suggest any good sites on the net for Id'ng Fungi?)

Attachments

• DSC_1084.jpg
    DSC_1084.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_1083.jpg
    DSC_1083.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 136
Further to the above..the closest I have come to Id'ng this one is Fistulina Hepatica..Beefsteak fungus..I am still not happy with this though as all the pics I have seen so far (on the net and in books)do not show the prominences out of the side of the cap as in the photo..Also the porous looking surface confuses me..
Help!?! :-C

Anyone able to help..I am still coming up fruitless :stuck: :-C
It is on a decidious tree trunk..
The colour is a sort of blood red..I could not pick it up etc so unable to shoot the underneath as I had my 4 year old son with me whom I tell NOT to pic any fungi( for obvious reasons). So I couldn't very well be seen doing what I had told him not to do.. :cool:
Anyway..Bumped this up..
Any help would be brilliant..Even if its a case of 'no, it isn't Fistulina Hepatica'

Cheers alll
Yours in desperation :'D

Wouldn't bet on it! Sorry, all I can make out is a strawberry poison dart frog climbing up an old carpet. Mind you fungi is not my forte (very little is) and I'm sure someone will whip out an unarguable ID for you.
Jim

Ranger James said:
Wouldn't bet on it! Sorry, all I can make out is a strawberry poison dart frog climbing up an old carpet. /QUOTE]

Excellent suggestion, Jim!

I have looked at these images and my frank opinion is that the best thing is to move on. They could be Fistulina, it can have a warted margin and young fruitbodies can be quite irregular, though usually horizontal!

There again I wouldn't actually confirm it is even a fungus. 'Strawberry poison dart frog' seems just as appealing a suggestion and might explain my vague feeling that something in the darkness is mooning at us.

So I'm sitting this one out.

Alan

Cheers all..
I am probably going out onto my patch again tommorow morning..I will see if I can get a better pic this time..(taking spare batteries and minus the kids ;) )
Hopefully the little blighter will still be in situ .. :cool:
Cheers again..

Well I managed to get out to the area where I found this fungi and it had gone :C
Oh well.. I will put it down to my first experience of a UFO (Unidentified Fungal object..)

strawberry poison dart frog climbing up an old carpet
3:)
I suppose it might have hopped away.. :frog: ;)
Cheers everyone for trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back