• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tortoise id? (1 Viewer)

Isurus

saw this tortoise racing accross the grass at kirstenbosch botanic gardens in Capetown (moving so quickly I assumed it was a pangolin until I got bins on it). Anyway caught up with him and took these pics but I'm unsure whether its native or a released pet (or both) and therefore don't really know where to start id wise - any suggestions?

61838301_8932d180c8_o.jpg
61837576_fde7981616_o.jpg

It could be an Angulate Tortoise.

If you would like you can post the pics on a reptile website like www.sareptiles.co.za and ask for identification. I am not that sure about Tortoises. Only one I know is the Leopard Tortoise.

Alternatively you should try get your hands on one of Bill Branch's latest editions of "Reptiles of Southern Africa".

Bushbaby said:
It could be an Angulate Tortoise.

Thanks. I believe it is an angulate having subsequently id'd this bigger specimen as an angulate from the same region (note Tilley Hat for scale - truly multipurpose headgear)
64440127_460412ebc8.jpg

Angulate Tortoises do not grow as big as the one in your second post. That in actual fact looks like a Leopard Tortoise to me. There's a big difference in their appearance, which you cannot miss.

Bushbaby said:
Angulate Tortoises do not grow as big as the one in your second post. That in actual fact looks like a Leopard Tortoise to me. There's a big difference in their appearance, which you cannot miss.

thanks - I'm finding tortoises hard to differentiate - I'm obviously missing the subtle differences between them. Having googled I think the big one must be pardalis as you say which is interesting as the game park where it was lists only Pelomedusa subrufa, Homopus signatus and Chersine angulatus as present.

Which game park was it at?

BTW, back to your original post. In South Africa we are not allowed to keep exotic tortoises and we need permits to keep indigenous tortoises. I would assume that the tortoises in question would be indigenous and occur in the area.

Last edited:
Bushbaby said:
Which game park was it at?

BTW, back to your original post. In South Africa we are not allowed to keep exotic tortoises and we need permits to keep indigenous tortoises. I would assume that the tortoises in question would be indigenous and occur in the area.

This was the reserve: http://www.solole.co.za/

the big one was wandering around outside their restaurant but there were a number of others up in the reserve itself. The first one posted was at kirstenbosch and it was there that it was implied it was a released pet (although it could of course have been a pet of a native species).

Tortoises are not that rare in the wild and they do occur throughout South Africa. I seriously doubt that it is a released pet. Guess we'll never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back