• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D70 with Sigma 100-300 (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
Just bought a Sigma 100-300 as an upgrade from the Sigma70-300. The lens works fine on the D70 but refuses to Auto focus when I use the Kenko Pro300 1.4x teleconverter. Using the Kenko with the 70-300 is no problem.

So have I bought a lemon or is there a mod that I can do to get the 100-300 working with the kenco.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Hi Mike,

I doubt you've got a lemon: this (with my emphasis) from the Nikonians Teleconvertor Compatability Chart (http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/Nikonians Teleconverter Table.pdf):

Sigma HSM lenses appear to be the most difficult to predict converter compatibility.

Members have consistently reported that the older Kenko and Tamron converters will not autofocus with Sigma HSM lenses.

Some members have reported that the Kenko Pro 300 and Tamron SP converters will not autofocus with some Sigma HSM lenses.

Sigma’s own EX 1.4x converters disable autofocus with lenses slower than f/4, so will not AF with, for example, the Sigma EX 500mm f/4.5 HSM, whereas the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter does provide autofocus with this lens.

Some members have reported problems using the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter with the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4 lens on a D70 body; for other members the combination works correctly.

Some members have reported that the Sigma EX converters will not autofocus with Tokina ATX lenses.

I don't know of any fixes myself...

I've got a related issue with my Sigma 80-400mm OS.

I have the same tcon, and although I do sometimes get AF, it's unpredictable, and needs loads of light.

I lose OS though.

If I use a Sigma 1.4x tcon, apparently I'll keep OS, but the AF is definitely out the window..!

;)

Mike,

Which 100-300mm have you got: 100-300mm f4 EX or 100-300mm F4.5-6.7?

I'm currently using the 100-300mm f4 EX which does retain it's auto-focus with Sigma's own 1.4 convertor. However that is with a Canon fit, so I don't know if things differ between manufacturers.

If you are using the 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 then I don't think this is compatible with the teleconvertors.

When I've had any queries in the past I've contacted Sigma on the following e-mail address and they've always been quite helpful.

[email protected]

Many thanks for your helpful comments guys. Yes it is the sigma 100-300 f4 EX HSM. I bought it to replace the Sigma 70-100 APO which works perfectly well (if a little slowly) with the Kenco 1.4 TC.
I think the combination of Kenco and HSM is going to be temperamental, (probably designed by a woman) as you suggest in the ref to Nikonians Keith.

Isn't it wonderful how much expertise and helpful people there are available on this forum. I may use this forum in preference to marriage guidance in future.

mike hawley said:
Isn't it wonderful how much expertise and helpful people there are available on this forum. I may use this forum in preference to marriage guidance in future.

Always agree with everything she says.......... even if she is wrong!

I once tried my Sigma 100-300 with a kenko 1.4 and had no luck.

I have since gotten the Sigma 1.4x TC and it works perfectly. This is a VERY good optical combination with only VERY little evidence of the TC being present.

Paul

My Sigma macro 150/2.8 behaves the same. It works only with the Sigma TC not with the Kenko or Tamron TCs I have. On top of that, the lens sometimes gets mad with the D2X, and refuses to focus. It doesn't AF at all with the D200 and needs re-chipping.

mike hawley said:
Just bought a Sigma 100-300 as an upgrade from the Sigma70-300. The lens works fine on the D70 but refuses to Auto focus when I use the Kenko Pro300 1.4x teleconverter. Using the Kenko with the 70-300 is no problem.

So have I bought a lemon or is there a mod that I can do to get the 100-300 working with the kenco.

As someone who admittedly hasn't yet purchased DSLR but still deciding which route to take, may i ask why would one change from 70-300 to 100-300? if that is not a silly question.

It would seem (to me) no gain in focal length. I could understand the change from 20-300 up to 170-500mm or even a 500, 600 or 800mm fixed lens.

Obviously I'm over-simplifying things - can someone explain please?

Steve

mike hawley said:

am looking to buy the same lense,is ti any good.
having read plenty of reveiws about the lense i understand the you have to use the sigma apo teleconverters.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back