• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gardening for HOUSE SPARROWS - how to help LINK (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Most of you are probably aware by now of the campaign to save the declining population of House Sparrows particularly in the SE England's urban areas. Thought it would be helpful to post a quick link to the Defra Leaflet which gives advice on what changes we can make to our gardens to give House Sparrows a better chance of survival:

Included in the leaflet is advice about nest boxes etc

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/ewd/sparrows.pdf

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Most of you are probably aware by now of the campaign to save the declining population of House Sparrows particularly in the SE England's urban areas. Thought it would be helpful to post a quick link to the Defra Leaflet which gives advice on what changes we can make to our gardens to give House Sparrows a better chance of survival:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/ewd.sparrows.pdf

Link comes up with not found

:cat:

I regulary have a dozen or so feed in my garden every day, whilst happy to feed them I am always on the lookout for other species. Thanks to your article I will take even greater pleasure in watching them. I have 6 nest boxes I have made 3 of which are for sparrows, will put them out at the weekend, still have some wood left and will make a couple more.

deborah4 said:
Today saw first HS in garden this year - one solitary, female, first winter
This is our favourite(odd) HS that visits our garden-my wife calls it Rusty

Attachments

• rusty2.jpg
    rusty2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 141
  • rusty h sp.jpg
    rusty h sp.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 147
deborah4 said:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/ewd/sparrows.pdf
The guide makes reference to growing more shrubs in our gardens...

My own "research" points to a loss of one shrub in particular - privet. When I grew up privet hedges were everywhere and they were full of... insects and spiders as well as... sparrows. Sparrows seemed to love those privet hedges and, in summer, popping out to a nearby dry bit of soil for a dust bath.

Nowadays, privet hedges have all but disappeared just about as much as well... sparrows. And when I find a large privet hedge - what bird do I find flitting gaily in and out of it... the sparrow.

But it's not just privet those little birds seem to like. My father-in-law's garden has an old beech hedge. And he still has lots of sparrows.

Clearly, certain kinds of hedge and house sparrows go together well. I imagine hawthorn would be just as good, and again - there are few of those around in town gardens.

Let's get planting hedges!

Last edited:
Agreed Scampo now I come to think of it - and they use to be filled with hawkmoth caterpillars as well if I remember rightly. Well no room left in garden for privet unfortunately but I am letting the ivy run havoc (almost!) so hopefully that will work if Richard's garden above is anything to go by

(nice pic of Rusty there Bob! Ive stopped naming my lone visitors its too easy to become attached and then they disappear :-C )

Hi Scampo,

Tell the world please "sparrows need privet hidges". I have been saying it for years but everybody removes them here to make room to park cars.

As people may remember last year I have a permanent running battle with my neighbour about our "shared" privet hedge "plenty of birds around" is his answer to everything.

Deborah I am pleased to say I again have a little flock of 6 in my hedges and to me they are worth more than gold I love their chirping sounds so happy. I have now had a slight alteration to the front corner of roof as they always nested there till 3 years ago when BT repaired a cable and blocked the corner. I have now "re-opened" it don't know how else to put and am keeping my fingers crossed.

By accident I also found Sparrows like eating loose millet (I try everything for my birds) and now have a big bag in the garage.

Good Luck Deborah one has found you its friends will follow.

Ann :bounce: :-O :t:

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Scampo,

Tell the world please "sparrows need privet hidges". I have been saying it for years but everybody removes them here to make room to park cars.

As people may remember last year I have a permanent running battle with my neighbour about our "shared" privet hedge "plenty of birds around" is his answer to everything.

Deborah I am pleased to say I again have a little flock of 6 in my hedges and to me they are worth more than gold I love their chirping sounds so happy. I have now had a slight alteration to the front corner of roof as they always nested there till 3 years ago when BT repaired a cable and blocked the corner. I have now "re-opened" it don't know how else to put and am keeping my fingers crossed.

By accident I also found Sparrows like eating loose millet (I try everything for my birds) and now have a big bag in the garage.

Good Luck Deborah one has found you its friends will follow.

Ann :bounce: :-O :t:
I've a strip of bare fencing a neighbour has put at the bottom of my garden - I was going to plant raspberry but, you know, I think privet is in order. Not ideal for there but if it will attract the sparrows...

Hi Ann

Both you and Scampo have convinced me - I will try and source some privet this Spring and somehow find some room in the back garden. Presumably they take a while to grow large enough to be of benefit so by then hopefully we will have bought the Freehold to the property and I think I could convince the neighbours to re-plant it round the front of the house if we pull up some paving stones!! Lor anythings gotta be better than concrete :bounce:

deborah4 said:
Hi Ann

... Lor anythings gotta be better than concrete :bounce:
I do wish others shared your view - a neighbour recently had the whole of his large front garden covered in black tarmac. It looks more like a car park than a garden. I don't know.

willowa said:
If you want native hedging at reasonable prices try the link.
They do mail order. They specalise in hedging. They do barerooted plants but it will be out of season soon. This is the cheapest way to buy privet.

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/
Thanks for the link. Privet cuttings (or "slippings" as my mum used to call them...) root extraordinarily easily, although from a cutting it would take an extra year or two compared with, say, a containerised bush.

In the days when my dad planted his privet hedges - the early 1950s - I doubt there were even garden centres and now we can buy privet online.

I was at my brother's this afternoon. He plants his garden exclusively for birds and yet the house sparrow population in his garden has halved from, he says, up to sixty birds twenty years ago, to thirty now. If I look around from his garden at others, I can see that whole areas of green have become grey. That's the reason the poor things are struggling, I feel pretty sure.

If you've got the room .... let your privet go wild and don't cut it. I've got a bush about 5 or 6 mtrs high that was there when i moved in over 20 years ago and has been untouched since. The birds love it. All of them, not just the Sparrows.

iano.

iano said:
If you've got the room .... let your privet go wild and don't cut it. I've got a bush about 5 or 6 mtrs high that was there when i moved in over 20 years ago and has been untouched since. The birds love it. All of them, not just the Sparrows.

iano.
Hi iano

It must be a fact that cover and food are what they seem to need above all else. Not so different from us, eh?

I once saw a design like this (picture) in some ones back garden with loads of sparrows buzzing round it. Sorry about the dreadful paint drawing!

Attachments

• nestboxes.bmp
    140.3 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back