• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Oystercatcher behaviour? (1 Viewer)

deeestuary

Dee Estuary
Tonight (1st March) I have about 150 Oystercatchers roosting next to a pond about a mile inland. This is within a small wildfowl collection where they often rest during the day. I don't know how frequently they roost here as I just happened to be walking past this pond at dusk tonight, I went back to check an hour later when it was dark, they were still there. It is coincident with some high spring tides.
I've never heard of Oystercatchers roosting inland on a moonless night before. Is this unusual behaviour?

Up here oystercatchers are common inland breeding birds on farmland and along rivers. At this time of year they return to their breeding areas and tend to roost in large flocks by lochs and ponds, before setting up their territories. Do you not have inland breeding oystercatchers down there?

Capercaillie71 said:
Up here oystercatchers are common inland breeding birds on farmland and along rivers. At this time of year they return to their breeding areas and tend to roost in large flocks by lochs and ponds, before setting up their territories. Do you not have inland breeding oystercatchers down there?

Only a handful. The Dee Estuary is a major wintering ground for Oystercatchers (c30,000), and these will be birds which have spent the winter here. But what you say is very interesting, even though these particular birds have not left for their breeding grounds yet they may well be more inclined to roost inland at this time of year if that is what they will be doing in a few weeks when they do leave to breed.
But given the cold weather, have any arrived up your way yet?
Many thanks

deeestuary said:
But given the cold weather, have any arrived up your way yet?

Yes, I saw the first flocks near my house (25 miles inland) about two weeks ago, although they have now vanished with the heavy snowfalls. Late February is about normal for the first breeding arrivals.

I seem to remember that there is quite a sharp north-south divide for inland breeding oystercatchers. Several years ago a friend of mine from the south of England visited during the summer and was astonished to be driving through farmland and see oystercatchers perched on roadside fenceposts. Sometimes they come into the garden too and often perch on the roof of the house (not so welcome if it's 4am in June and they are calling loudly!).

A bit off thread, but I recently went to a slide show about Highland Birds. One slide showed oystercatchers nesting on a wooden tray, about 3' by 4', covered with pebbles, on the apex of a cottage roof. They originally nested on a shingle bank on the river, but often lost their eggs to floods. Clever birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back