• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida birding in summer? (1 Viewer)

koren

I'm going to be in Florida for about 12 days in late June/early July. The first week will be at a conference in Orlando (no car - we'll be staying near Seaworld). Then we are flying to Miami and spending 3 or 4 days driving around seeing the Everglades and maybe across to Naples or Fort Myers.

I have heard that summer is not the best time to be in Florida (are the mosquitos really that bad?), but I'd appreciate any advice on what interesting birds I am likely to see. (In this context 'interesting' is anything that doesn't live on the West coast, where I've done most of my US birding).

I've heard that Gatorland in Orlando is pretty good for birdwatching - can anyone confirm this? Given that we won't have a car in Orlando, going too far afield probably isn't possible but I'm sure I could justify going to Gatorland to soak up some of the local culture:)

Cheers, Koren

Koren, it is a pity that you dont have a car available in Orlando, it's only about an hour drive out to Merritt Island Wildlife refugee, which is one of my favorite spots for Florida. Florida Scrubjay, and good wetlands birds (even though I have not been there in mid summer). Do a search in this forum for Florida, there have been several recent threads about birding there.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back