• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want MS Office? there is another way (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Anyone out there, looking for the complete suite of office software (Documents, Spreadsheets, Drawing, Presentations) for buisiness, home or education?

Before you spend your money on MS Office, checkout OpenOffice.
The latest version (1.1) can be downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org and it is absolutly FREE.

We have been using the previous version for around a year now, and in a lot of ways I prefer to use it rather the MSO (which I use at work). I've recently downloaded the latest version and 1st impressions are that it as good as MSO in all areas, and in some areas it is better. It is certainly better at multi-tasking than MSO, it's easier to navigate between the programs and certainly does not cause your PC to crash when running everthing at once.

Files can be saved in various formats including MSO, and can be exported as PDF files at the click of a mouse. OO can also open MSO documents, so swaping electonic copies of docs with MSO users is no problem.

If you want to try it and you don,t have broadband (63M download) you can get a copy on CD ROM for around £5.

New systems at work are having Open Office installed on them. I've heard there are occasional problems with reading excel and word documents but nothing too bad, just annoyances.

Personally I have MSO installed on my machines at work but it is a total waste as except for reading the occassional word document that gets passed around, I don't use any of it.

At home we have the Lotus products because that is what came with the machine. But I have no real use for any of that either.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back