• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4500 Firmware (1 Viewer)

Softsfan

Anybody tried the latest firmware v1.2 for the Coolpix 4500? I have just bought a 4500 and it has come with v1.1. I cannot find any comment on any bug fixes/feature enhancements on the Nikon website (www.nikon-coolpix.com/). The readme file for the new version doesn't mention any changes, only how to download and install.

It sounds a bit drastic if the upgrade doesn't go well, as the site says "Contact Nikon dealer". In order to avoid any undue hassle I would like to know whether it is worth it in the first place! Any guinea pigs out there?

When I downloaded the .exe file and unzipped it (with no intention of upgrading without knowing the risks/benefits) I then noticed a text file stating the following:

"The following issue has been corrected in this firmware upgrade.
When shooting using the MC-EU1 remote cord at an image-quality setting of HI (no compression, TIFF) images appear as if they are overlapping or sliced."

As I don't intend to use that remote cord based on informed feedback in this forum, and I always use the FINE setting not the HI, v1.2 would appear to have no benefits over v1.1 for me at least.

Rule One: If it ain't broke ...

Now, if they would bring out some firmware that made the shutter go off when you press the release. and not an interminable time later, I'd be prepared to take a chance on it. ;(

And while they're at it, perhaps they could change the firmware so that the bird sits still and says cheese when it sees you cursing the camera for delaying the shot

Is this a genuinely serious problem with the CP 4500? I'm looking at buying one this week while Warehouse Express still have that offer on.

Is there a big delay between pressing the shutter and the picture being taken?

Cheers
Gareth

I haven't checked Warehouse Express recently, but any potential 4500 buyer might want to check out Amazon.co.uk for what was a very low price when I bought mine (lowest I've seen before or since). If you prefer high Street support, make a hard copy of the Amazon page and show it to Jessops and they will honour the Amazon price after a quick look at your print-out and a call to their head office for approval to match price. At the time of purchase I saved 75 quid off an already reduced Jessops price.

Don't worry about speed, it is a great digiscoper and there is noticably less focus delay than my Coolpix 5700 which cost 400 quid more.

Yep I did the same thing & Jessops price matched,I agree to with the 4500 being a good digiscoping camera.

Regards Steve.

The delay, Gareth, is dreadful. Unfortunately, I don't know of a camera suitable for digiscoping that, all things considered, is any better. Hobson's choice. If I knew of a better digiscoping camera, I'd order one in 25 minutes when the shops open. I complain about the CP4500, but the bottom line is that I use it and not something else. Sure wish they'd fix that delay problem though.

Thanks for the input.

I bit the bullet yesterday and joined the world of digiscopers! I went to Jessops and they price matched the Warehouse Express deal for a 4500, spare battery and flashdisk. The batteries are on charge now so I'll have a play tonight!

Wish me luck :)

a leetle burd told me that the more stuff you have set to 'auto' on the shooting menu of the 4500, the slower the shutter lapse becomes...in fractions of a second, that is. Can't guarantee it works but have a go....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back