• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 FL ER (1 Viewer)

Not impossible, but tricky. With the eyecups fully extended, there are no blackouts but the edges of the FOV cannot quite be seen. At the intermediate click-stop, you can see the entire FOV but eye placement is a bit more critical. Not nearly as bad as Nikon's SE though, because Zeiss' eyecup is far more stable, so you can maintain correct eye placement once you find it.

I wear glasses and use the eyecups fully retracted. I have no problem seeing the entire field.
Curtis,

Are you myopic as I am? Because I am magnificently near sighted, my specs provide a smaller image which allows me to see more FOV with my glasses on, and cups down, than without my specs and cups extended. I have not used the 8x42 FL, but this happens with all my binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I never had a blackout incident with my Nikon 10 x 42 SE's. I set the proper IPD, rest the extended rubber eyecups under my eyebrows and I get the best view I've ever seen through a binocular! I did have blackout problems with my old Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovids but they have an extremely long eye relief and a very wide FOV. They also have old style rubber eyecups. Finding the correct IPD solved the problem with them, but, like all roof prisms, they lack an IPD gauge so it takes a bit of fiddling to get them set just right for my eyes. I don't wear glasses.
Bob

Last edited:
My wife has the same experience viewing through eyeglasses with the cups all the way down. She just extends the eyecups to the first stop and that fixes it for her. Without glasses, I can use the 8x42 either 2 clicks out or fully extended, but the most comfortable view is half way between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back