• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill Tree (1 Viewer)

burhinus

Went for a session in one of my favourite parts of Thetford Forest on Friday. I was hoping to catch up on Crossbill as I keep getting told there are quite a few in the country at the moment.

A few yards into this particular part of the forest (sorry I like dealing in old fashioned measures-sod Brussels) there is a tall Aspen tree. I had grown to like this tree. In spring the aroma from the leaves was fantastic and on days with a light breeze I would stand for ages watching the leaves quiver in the breeze. It is because of this incessant movement that the tree has a local name of 'widows tongue'.

Another reason for watching this tree was because if ever there were Crossbill in the area they would gather in this tree. Interestingly they would also frequently be associated with Goldfinch. From this tree they would fly around on little sorties always to return to the uppermost twigs. Because I had often seen Crossbill in this tree I had christened it my Crossbill Tree.

Friday was my first visit after the gales, sadly the the tree had become a casualty. the top half of the tree was on the deck. Not a bird of any description was in the bottom section. I think it will be safe to say my Crossbill tree has lost its status and the widow has had her tongue removed!

burhinus

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back