• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Bill,

That is a very kind offer. Thank you. I may take you up on it.

We are headed to Orlando for ten days to enjoy some of the tourist attractions but I may have some free time at some point. If you have any suggestions close by then please drop me a PM.

Thank you kindly.

Alexis,
I think Zeiss has changed the eyecups since you got your 8x32. You might prefer the current ones. They are softer with a more rounded shape than the last ones. I believe the eyecup design has changed at least twice since the first FLs.
Henry

Here's a follow-up on the 8x32 FL eyecups. I called Zeiss Sports Optics (in Virginia, USA) to inquire about getting the newer eyecups. The person who answered the general customer service line was certain that no changes in the eyecups had been made except the change in diameter that occurred early-on in FL production and before the 8x32 model was released. After much more discussion, and because I refused to let the issue go, she transferred me to the repairs dept. I ended up having to leave a voice-mail message, but I got a call back later that day. The person there was certain that the newest eyecups were different. I ordered a pair (a bit pricey at $49.34 shipping included, but I have a customer appreciation rebate coupon from Zeiss for $25 that will halve my cost).

The new eyecups are indeed different. They have a more rounded edge and are made of a rubbery rather than hard plastic cup material. I like them a lot! I use the eyecups set all the way down since I wear glasses so the hardness would not seem very important, but since the rubber grips rather than slips when pressed against my glasses it makes positioning the binoculars properly (or holding the correct position) over my eyes MUCH easier. It makes the binoculars much more enjoyable to use. It's amazing how much effect these little factors can have on the performance of the overall package.

--AP

It's amazing how much effect these little factors can have on the performance of the overall package.

--AP

Isn't that the truth. It's why I smile when people expound on the merits of a bino based strictly on tiny nuances of the view without considering the many other factors that make for a good birding bino.

Well after hours of looking at, looking through, discussions about, a couple of failed purchases etc etc, I think I have finally bought a pair of ‘keepers’

Not a lot to say other than I am confident that these will compliment my Swarovski EL 10x42’s perfectly and that I will be for ever content with them … or at least till I get bored of them or get some additional cash to buy the new Swaro’s when they are out!

Hi Captain

Reading from your posting that you have the Swaro EL 10x42s, I was just wondering what you thought of them. I have been testing the various options for a few weeks now, but have just ordered a pair of Swaros. I found them overall to just shade the zeiss equivs, and to be far better than the Leica and Nikons.

I got them via a reasonable deal, and I just couldn't justify the cost of the new version (which, I am told by testers, are better but not £500 better).

Cheers

I do not know if the 8x32 is afflicted with this issue, but my 8x42 FL exhibits a mild halo under certain lighting conditions, and it does not seem to be an internal reflection, or flare on the objective lens surface, but an external reflection between the ocular and the surface of the eye. In most viewing circumstances it does not appear.

Well, no binocular is perfect!

Norm P

NORM! (sorry, haven't heard that name since "Cheers" went off the air).

The "halo effect" could be from the unfocused light at the edge of the FLs. I've seen this with binoculars I've had with astigmatism at the edges. Doesn't sound like it's much of a problem for you, but you can try to reduce this by masking the FL's down to 32mm.

You won't be missing the extra aperture unless light levels drop significantly.

True, no binocular is perfect, but for $1,600, the 8x32 FL better be pretty darn close!

My 8x32 LX has a flare problem. I have three mid-sized Nikons -- the 8x32 LX, 8x30 E2, and 8x32 SE.

The SE shows the least amount of flare, in fact, it's nearly flare resistant in the summer when the sun is overhead, the E2 shows more flare, and the LX has the most.

I found that by adding glare/dew shields to the LX, I dramatically reduced the flaring. The shields extend about 2" from the end of the barrels. I didn't think they'd fit on the stubby end of the LX barrels but they did.

Even Bushwacker covers, which are not as long, helped reduce the flare some.

Buying a pair of Bushwacker covers could help with the 8x32 FL flare, and they'll also help the ergonomics by extending the barrel length.

I run out of barrel faster than I run out of hand with my 8x32 LX, and w/out the shields/covers, my palms reflect light into the optical path.

So the covers cure too "ills" at one time.

BJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back