• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (116 Viewers)

Just for completeness the Great White Egret at Titchwell ws visible for a good while over by Thornham Bank....i watched it from the Bittern viewpoint on the mainpath for a good 10 minutes or more......its head and neck visible in the dip it was in.I RBA'd it in but it never appeared on the pager :(

Was this on Thursday?
Complete guess but you weren't put onto it by two youngish lads? Around 2pm?
One of which was me and the other was Joseph Nichols (Joseph N on here) and 2:04pm was the first time Joseph clocked it I think.
If you had it before us then good work :t:

Coming from Lynn heading towards Hunstanton take the first left sign-posted Wolferton and then take the right hand turning at the crossroads. You'll see a small carpark here but further down the road towards the village of Wolferton you'll find the main bigger car park.

P.s. I wouldn't take a dog if you have one as there's a very dangerous illness here and at Sandringham which has still not been identified! Several dogs have died because of this illness !!!

Thanks Rob :t:

Adam

Nowt to do with me, don't know anything about a pallid at Titchwell!!

However we did have an awesome harrier roost this evening with 19 marsh harrier (11 on Thornham side, 8 on reserve) inc a wing tagged bird and 4 hen harriers (1 male)

Paul

Ah well, as you say still a very good roost even without the Pallid!
Hopefully the Hens have had a good breeding year due to the abundance of voles, would be nice to get them more regularly this year.
Do you know where the MR was tagged?

PLEASE DO THE SAME FOR WELLS WOODS. This was mooted some time ago, but didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• wells woods places.jpg
    wells woods places.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,071
PLEASE DO THE SAME FOR WELLS WOODS. This was mooted some time ago, but didn't happen.
Great stuff, thanks. I was wandering around the Dell earlier and although my first visits to 'Wells woods' were over 30 years ago it's nice to know the given names of some of the well known features.

Was this on Thursday?
Complete guess but you weren't put onto it by two youngish lads? Around 2pm?
One of which was me and the other was Joseph Nichols (Joseph N on here) and 2:04pm was the first time Joseph clocked it I think.
If you had it before us then good work :t:

It was on Thursday but i cant remember the time exactly.
Was sometime after the 40th Owl went past :)
I had seen a pager message for it earlier but assumed i had missed it.
I only noticed it as i thought it was a white pole sticking up in the distance and didnt remember seeing a white pole when i walked up the path earlier.

It was on Thursday but i cant remember the time exactly.
Was sometime after the 40th Owl went past :)
I had seen a pager message for it earlier but assumed i had missed it.
I only noticed it as i thought it was a white pole sticking up in the distance and didnt remember seeing a white pole when i walked up the path earlier.

Ahh ok, I put the pager message out so yea guessing you saw it after us.
Did you catch it when it came onto the marsh west of Titchwell then flew inland?
Awesome birds!

PLEASE DO THE SAME FOR WELLS WOODS. This was mooted some time ago, but didn't happen.

I thought the Warham gazetteer was useful, but this is absolutely brilliant! Recognise every single one of those landmarks! If I had a pound for every minute I've wasted following cr*p directions looking for birds in there, I'd have enough for a new pair of bins.

All we need now is for people to actually use these landmarks accurately! (and perhaps for some more easterlies to put some good birds in there while the details are fresh in the memory)

Saw a ringtail Hen Harrier and also a stunning male Hen Harrier at Warham from the West Track (Garden Drove) around 4pmish this afternoon.

Full account on blog.

Penny:girl:

The quickest news is surely via a RBA pager but also the most expensive of course.

However the local grapevines are often even quicker. For example in Lowestoft we now have a local twitter group and of course Suffolk BINS text group (the BINS messages get onto RBA promptly as they are also in on it) Maybe local grapevines also happen in Norfolk tho it may be more cliqued I think.

Thanks for the reply! I've been with Birdguides (text service) for years now and always found the service excellent. Only thing is you have to keep paying for top-ups. Annual subscription of RBA seems quite reasonable in comparison.

Even tho RBA may have the news first in a lot of cases im sure the other 2 main services then put that news out promptly on theirs having read it. But will that 1 or 2 min delay cost you a bird...in most cases no..in a few..maybe....

Actually after a bit more research (only looking on my phone before) Birdguides does seem to offer much better value. I really like the email updates that birdguides offers but it doesn't seem like RBA offers a similar service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back