• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (85 Viewers)

Today, I met an honest man

Had I arrived at Salthouse 10 minutes earlier, I might have seen the Glossy Ibis on its fly-past. Ah well !

I had a Yellowhammer fly over Walsey Hills NOA, this morning. This is also where I took the photo of the Accentor (a characteristic bird around the feeders), testing my camera again. For those interested, the RH shot is an edited version of the LH, which is only cropped. Unfortunately, neither the face pattern nor the specific name was as could have been hoped for- and I had to Hedge my bets.

Much later, I was driving back through Salthouse, when I spied Pete Gluth by the Dun Cow. I stopped and we nattered. It transpires he was the first ‘twitcher’ to ring RBA with clinching info on The Robin last Friday- and still didn’t tick it. Just like me, he only saw the bird in flight and doesn’t add such sightings to his list.

Attachments

• 033crop.jpg
    033crop.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 033pse_edited-1.jpg
    033pse_edited-1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 271
Hi Pyrtle,

Hi Joseph, I have had very good views of Little Owl at my local patch near the village of Colton, just outside Norwich near the showground. I managed to usher a younger bird out of the road there last summer walking to about 2feet before he flew off, closely watched by a parent bird. The area has also yielded barn owl everytime, tawny owl with the odd other interesting bird ie: grey partridge, red kite, nightengale.

That area is general feels good for little owls, especially some of the less intensively farmed fields.

Johny

Hi Johny,

Thanks very much for this, fantastic stuff. When down there I'm based in Costessey which seems not far at all from Colton. I take it you are referring here to a one off occasion when you saw one there, or am I wrong? Although I know I'll see this species quite often once birding in Norfolk regularly, is it possible you can give me more info (via PM if you prefer) on where you've seen them plus others here as it sounds an interesting local spot to visit.

Cheers,

Joseph

Headed out to Holme today with Pete,
I was targetting the yellow-browed and the jack snipe a bogey bird for me.

Holme gave goldcrest, a flock of scoter, GN diver gannets and many oystercatcher along with the usual birds being seen there.

Then headed off to Twitchwell - or not as neither the yellow browed or jacky snipe showed for me. Whilst looking for the Warbler we managed to miss a flyover glossy ibis. Lots of golden plover, lapwing, curlew pintail etc and a kestrel.

A quick stop at Chosely drying barns gave another Kestrel and some mippits, sitting daringly close to the Kestrel on the wire - the wind had really picked up and I think any other local passerines had their heads kept well down. On this note we returned to titchwell and whilst watching the roosting marsh harriers were treated to a female merlin eyeing up the starlings and a female sparrowhawk too, a stonechat and a grey heron as well as double figures of little egret. A quick chat with another birder had me sprinting, or as good as an attempt as I good give it, with the lack of light and the scope, back to the hides as the jack snipe was showing well. It had gone by the time I had got there of course..

A good day and a great finish as a male hen harrier swept in, quartered the ground for a while then went to roost

Last edited:
Headed out to Holme today with Pete,
I was targetting the yellow-browed and the jack snipe a bogey bird for me.

Holme gave goldcrest, a flock of scoter, GN diver gannets and many oystercatcher along with the usual birds being seen there.

Then headed off to Twitchwell - or not as neither the yellow browed or jacky snipe showed for me. Whilst looking for the Warbler we managed to miss a flyover glossy ibis. Lots of golden plover, lapwing, curlew pintail etc and a kestrel.

A quick stop at Chosely drying barns gave another Kestrel and some mippits, sitting daringly close to the Kestrel on the wire - the wind had really picked up and I think any other local passerines had their heads kept well down. On this note we returned to titchwell and whilst watching the roosting marsh harriers were treated to a female merlin eyeing up the starlings and a female sparrowhawk too, a stonechat and a grey heron as well as double figures of little egret. A quick chat with another birder had me sprinting, or as good as an attempt as I good give it, with the lack of light and the scope, back to the hides as the jack snipe was showing well. It had gone by the time I had got there of course..

A good day and a great finish as a male hen harrier swept in, quartered the ground for a while then went to roost

Their was also a very nice Barn Owl @ Titchwell which flew across the path & I finally got to say thank you to Penny for sum info she gave me in the summer , got home & had plaice & chips very nice ,

Yellow-browed Warbler in a private garden at Holme.

Didn't see the Glossy Ibis. But did see Jack Snipe from Parrinder Hide, a Redpoll, Spoonbill and a male Hen Harrier

See blog for full update.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Wonderful mornings birding at Lynford Arboretum. Highlights were crossbills, nuthatch and what was either a goldcrest or firecrest - we are having a bit of debate here about what it was. There is a stream in the middle of the forest with lots of dead trees etc overhanging and we were studying a nuthatch and great tit side by side - it looked as though they were chatting to each other. Within seconds they both disappeared to be replaced by our goldcrest/firecrest. The bird had a very prominent orange crown which seemed to be more circular than stripey (if that makes sense) but my wife was having trouble viewing it so by the time I adjusted the scope for her to see it had gone.

Wonderful mornings birding at Lynford Arboretum. Highlights were crossbills, nuthatch and what was either a goldcrest or firecrest - we are having a bit of debate here about what it was. There is a stream in the middle of the forest with lots of dead trees etc overhanging and we were studying a nuthatch and great tit side by side - it looked as though they were chatting to each other. Within seconds they both disappeared to be replaced by our goldcrest/firecrest. The bird had a very prominent orange crown which seemed to be more circular than stripey (if that makes sense) but my wife was having trouble viewing it so by the time I adjusted the scope for her to see it had gone.

Glad you had a good time! Male Goldcrests can show a prominent orange crown, so as this is the only feature you mention my guess is that your bird was a Goldcrest. It may have been displaying - they raise their crown feathers a bit sometimes which makes them more prominent, and I guess it might make it appear more circular too. Although Firecrests can also show an orange crown, had your bird been a Firecrest the feature you would have been more likely to mention is the very prominent white stripe over the eye (bordered by black above and below, which makes it stand hout all the more). Firecrests are sometimes seen at Lynford though, so worth keeping an eye out for them, but Goldcrests are much more numerous there.

Dersingham Bog late Sunday morning 23rd. Hen Harrier drifting south gave good views of white rump. Met two birders later who said they had flushed it from the north end of the bog. No one saw the Shrike reported a few days ago.

Then went Heacham beach at around 1300 hours. Four shearwaters seen distantly through scope, often climbing high then descending in an ark. Strikingly pale underneath, dark on top. Several times seen plunging (presumably to fish). Unable to determine species (Balearic perhaps?)

Jack Harrison

Dersingham Bog late Sunday morning 23rd. Hen Harrier drifting south gave good views of white rump. Met two birders later who said they had flushed it from the north end of the bog. No one saw the Shrike reported a few days ago.

Then went Heacham beach at around 1300 hours. Four shearwaters seen distantly through scope, often climbing high then descending in an ark. Strikingly pale underneath, dark on top. Several times seen plunging (presumably to fish). Unable to determine species (Balearic perhaps?)

Jack Harrison

Nearly tried for the shrike yesterday, didnt feel too optimistic. Cannot rule out Balearic, but perhaps manx ? Also, welcome to the thread!

Last edited:
Several times seen plunging (presumably to fish). Unable to determine species (Balearic perhaps?)

Jack Harrison

2 Balearics seen at Sheringham this a.m. One bird flew straight through going east but the 2nd bird lingered offshore a while, sat on the sea & making repeated short flights/ plunges into the sea.

I had said 'Strikingly pale' but I was viewing through an ancient Opticron Classic and the birds were a long way away. I suppose it was the striking contrast with the dark top of wings and the pale underneath as they turned, that was so noticeable.

Jack

Unfortunately not, the 3 of us who were watching this morning left at 11 o`clock. Things were fairly quiet & apart from the Balearics we had 2 Bonxies, 5 Little Gulls, a couple of G.C.Grebes + the usual Gannets, Divers & auks etc.
But as we all know it only takes one bird.

Finally, I get a great spot !

Sheringham, Salthouse, Blakeney, Wells and Holkham were the scene of . . . nothing, really, save for this Great Spotted Woodpecker. He has long been eluding reasonable pix, until now: when, with superlative fieldcraft and much painful back-twisting through the silver birches, I shot off around 100. About half a dozen were any good.

The Warham Greens roost, in the pleasant company of Ed & Pen, produced several Hen Harriers (including an adult male) and a Short-eared Owl.

Attachments

• 185pse_edited-1.jpg
    185pse_edited-1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 135
Cory's?

Know anything about the Cory's reported today Rob?

Pete

I was at Blakeney when the pager message came out (13 10) with news of a Cory's shearwater west past Sheringham at 13 05. Made my way to Cley Coastguards, arriving 13 20.

Did not recognise anyone of the few birders watching the sea.
No sign of the bird and saw nothing of interest offshore at all.

Went back to Blakeney and saw the cattle egret roosting and preaning from Friary Hills.

Jack Harrison

Jack welcome to Birdforum, you seem to be rather elegantly describing the way that Gannets hunt for prey. They will be circling in wide loops then momentarily hang in the air, turn, then fold their wings tight into their body in a torpedo shape hitting the water with tremendous force, They usually then sit on the water before taking off again. At this time of year in particular they can appear very dark on the upperparts and pale underneath, Yesterday at Cley I had one fly past which plumage-wise looked very skua-like. In terms of plumage and behaviour your birds don't really sound like Shearwaters.

Got an hour in this afternoon and checked Blakeney Harbour, A Great Skua on the far bank, eating prey then preening, this is the first Skua I have ever seen stopping off in the harbour, usually they are passing through or fishing in the harbour entrance. Also 1-2 male Hen Harrier, seems there has been a good arrival of males this Autumn.

In terms of finding rare birds next couple of days looks good, but imagine there will only be a smattering of Pallas's and maybe one rare Wheatear along some remote strandline, so its also going to be a challenge.

Saw the Yellow-browed Warbler along the Fen Trail at Titchwell, another at Warham Greens and then watched two ringtail Hen Harriers, one adult and a Short eared Owl.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

A good day out today with some movement on the sea, some passerines fresh in (though we missed the Palla's ringed at Waxham which the ringer seemed to think was fresh in), but ended with 12 Common Crane coming into roost at Horsey.

The following were highlights:

Yarmouth Beach

RT Diver 4-5 on sea, 3S,
Guillemot 3 on sea & 10+ N/S
Razorbill 2N
Little Gull 2juv S
Pom Skua 2 juv S
A Skua 1 dp
Bonxie 1 N
Gannet 15+ N/S
C Scoter 2N
Knot 9S