• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (112 Viewers)

...back to the birds!

Had an enjoyable day today, with a late start at Felbrigg (where I unfortunately I missed the 'white nun', due to an over exuberant walker who was too wary of losing his fillies), where a small group of Brambling were by the car park and a Whooper Swan & Goldeneye on the lake - with a very obscured drake Mandarin.

West Runton held its usual Med Gull, although it promptly disappeared, but an interesting array of waders on the beach included 18 Grey Plover.

Sheringham quickly gave up the Purple Sandpipers, below 'The Crown', where adjustment of positioning magically turned one roosting bird into two, then three. The Turnstone were particularly enjoyable here, hopping in short flight between the rocks.

A brief stop off at Kelling produced superb views of the Arctic Redpoll, as well as at least one Mealy and a number of Lessers. The distant Brent Goose flock included a Black Brant and 5+ Pale-bellied, which later flew past me at Salthouse, where Pale-bellied could be picked up in flight, but I was unable to locate the Brant!

About 30 Snow Buntings were flighty amongst the 'tourists', dog walker and patient (yet space consuming) photographers. An adult male Peregrine flew from the sea inland, as usual it was a majestic site. Three confiding Knot fed with the Turnstone. At each sea site a constant line of Red-throated Diver passed, with a nice 'surprise' of a drake Goosander at Salthouse, all moving west (as were a few Auks).

A brief stop at Cley produced 'thousands' of Brents (as already mentioned by Johny) and a few hundred Golden Plover (as an eminant Norfolk birder said to me the other day, 'I'm amazed how people estimate the number of birds in a flock'!) Three Twite twittered over, prsumably seperate from the Blakeney flock. I should have spent more time and checked the Beach Road Pool, but I wanted to spend dusk in my local area (although to no avail) and left...

... a heath was visited successfully, too.

The message appeared to be potentially helpful for Norfolk birders so i'm not sure why it needed to be deleted. The facility to PM the original poster also seems to no longer be available. Maybe there's an obvious explanation that i'm overlooking.

Could it be a conflict of interest?

John

I would like to see this one, willowgrouse. Elsewhere (http://northantsbirds.com/2011/11/01/more-on-‘goldpolls’/), they’ve been christened ‘Goldpolls’ (an even richer name), stating the cause to be genetic mutation. Some of the Lessers exhibit variations that I find fascinating, too.

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a Great Spotted Woodpecker with yellow replacing the red on the head. I think the technical term for this is Xanthochroism.

2 Bullfinch's Whitlingham Broad this afternoon along by the river + at least 20 Magpie in a tree at about 5pm

There used to be a large Magpie roost in the trees along the path as far as the bird screen, but I haven't seen many there recently. Numbers seemed to peak in March, but this may be a coincidence as I went there less in Jan and Feb because of the dark evenings.

Common Buzzard high over threescore today. Out of interest anyone know the nearest heronry near to the Big fishing lakes opposite threescore? pm me if you prefer.

So the aforementioned Norfolk news blog has been deleted? Any back story?

Hardley Flood yesterday- Kingfisher, c70 Pintail, c60 Shelduck, Marsh Harrier and 8 Curlew the best bits.

Cheers,
Jim.

Norfolk hits straight back with American raptor- methought !

As Nearctic waifs colonise much of the UK.

Flashing red lights and klaxons were triggered intra-cranially, before more sensible parts of my brain booted up, as I screeched to a halt between Wells and Wighton this afternoon. Unfortunately, as can be seen with a glance, this Harris’s Hawk is multi-blinged- although I hadn’t seen one as well as this since another by the side of Route 77 in Texas, whilst driving ‘down’ towards the Río Grande.

A Chiffchaff called repeatedly from the depths of the Dell, in Wells Woods; eventually giving itself up to the camera.

A Jay posed for longer and closer than they normally do.

The 2 redhead Smew were invisible to me, but not others.

Salthouse . . . as usual . . . a majestic site

Yes, Dave, I agree and that's why it quickly became one of my patches, when I first moved up: it helps birding, being in magnificent surroundings.

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a Great Spotted Woodpecker with yellow replacing the red on the head. I think the technical term for this is Xanthochroism.

Woodn’t it be technically HALF-term, at the mo, James ? Indeed, and thanks for prompting me to search; not just the head. Here’s the pic, with a ginormous, 7-line URL: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Xa...158&tbnw=164&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=0CIoBEK0DMBE

Attachments

• 099pse.jpg
    099pse.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 028pse.jpg
    028pse.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 044pse.jpg
    044pse.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 102
Johny - there used to be (and still is as far as I know) a small active heronry in the wood at the back of Colney Hall (no public access)

Willowgrouse

Thanks Willowgrouse, dazed from staring at the buzzard I looked over that way nd saw several herons in the air for a few seconds, nice to know that they might be breeding there.

rba now broadcasting 2 arctics at Kelling

Nobody locally as seen or heard of a definite recent 2nd bird. From talking to birders on site this seems to come from some birders who saw a Arctic they thought was without a ring. As the ring on the bird is sometimes hard to see it seems probable that is the case. However it is possible there is a second bird, but from what was said it does not sound like the original 2nd bird.
As far as Al and I know no Arctic was seen after late morning. But again there has been as constant turn round of birders.

John

Nobody locally as seen or heard of a definite recent 2nd bird. From talking to birders on site this seems to come from some birders who saw a Arctic they thought was without a ring. As the ring on the bird is sometimes hard to see it seems probable that is the case. However it is possible there is a second bird, but from what was said it does not sound like the original 2nd bird.
As far as Al and I know no Arctic was seen after late morning. But again there has been as constant turn round of birders.

John

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?rty=0&r=1&off=339041&v=0

Sam :t:

PS: Nothing to do with me!

They look identical to me... So either there are two identical looking Arctics or it is the same bird?
Ps.. I still have not had a chance to this/these birds so not in a good position to comment.

I believe the pix from the link given in Sam’s #15234 to be of the same bird: the orbital ring has the same dark fleck halfway along the lower edge. And, if you zoom in, you can see the ring on the right leg of the ‘2nd, darker, bird’.

Re Johns message regarding "Goldpolls". I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning it, but Dave Appletons website, www.gobirding.eu contains some really good shots of the Kelling Redpolls inc. some of a Goldpoll. (see diary entry 22.01).

Ian

I don't mind at all - thank you very much!

Some of these birds had distinctly orange foreheads but none had the truly yellow foreheads that do occasionally occur - I've never seen such a bird except in photos. Has anyone seen a real yellow-poll at Kelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back